"Elephant Wallet"

Old Hippie

I need one or 2 of the brown leather wallets with and elephant or a map of Thailand on it. They were popular a few years back, but haven't seen any this trip, any ideas? I cruised Sukhumvit, JJ, and Patpong, but so far nothing...

A few years back? Believe most places stopped selling them about 25 years ago as Thai money now fits normal size billfold. But I also like these and was able to find Davy brand No. 545 in black leather a few years back but no map or anything on outside. They still use the elephant drawing as a logo on the inside but don't claim to be make from them anymore. I would check the huge crafts store on Rajdamri next to Gaysorn. Believe I found mine at a shop in one of The Mall stores years ago. They are rare these days.

You do know that those wallets aren't made out of real elephant hide, don't you? Just water buffalo skin dyed to look like elephant hide.

I agree with the person above who suggested looking at Narayaphand Pavilion (behind Gaysorn Plaza, across from World Trade Center). Be sure to check the basement as well as upstairs.

• 4 weeks later...

I think he means a regular wallet with a picture of an elephant. I could be wrong, however....

While I haven't seen one made from an elephant, several jewelry stores carry wallets made from Sting Ray !!!!

These are very cool wallets BTW! I purchased one in 2000, and I'm still using it today. As a bonus, it really irritates the hell out of the "Tree hugging, sandal wearing, granola eating" crowd here in the States!!! I told one of these types what the wallet was made of when asked and she gave me a look like I'm personally responsible for destroying the planet!!! Hahahahahahaha.... :neener:

I think they're around 1500bt or so. Probably you can find them cheaper at the weekend market, but I haven't looked....

-=/NN

PS. If anyone knows where I can find these "Elephant skin" (fake or not, who cares...) wallets, let me know! I would love nothing more than to make one of these granola eaters head explode! ::

I was back at the Ploenchit Center again today. They had a good supply ... 3 styles, 2 different colors or tones.

I also saw them out on Sukhumvit today (around Soi 5) ...

these are inferior to the ones in the Ploenchit Center. I asked the lady how long she would be there ... she'll easily be there through the end of July.

Archived