Pattaya Timeshare scam?

chilli13

Totally ridiculous! http://www.timesharing-inter.com/littlehill_prices.htm

Five thousands pounds a week for a mangy little studio room 8kms outside of Pattaya for 25 years. Fixed to a week starting on a Saturday, once a year??

On top of that, the membership to Interval International is only for THREE years. So, if you want to have another chance to swop your week after three years..guess what?

Then of course there are the 'maintenance fees'.

Forgedaboutit!!

BTW ib, the pige is totally (almost) speechless after she heard that one. You're lucky she wasn't around at the time. You would for certain have got a lambasting for bringing your country into disrepute. :: :D;)

Even in the US, where there is at least a mediocum of consumer protection in the law, many thousands of "investors" lost money buying into timeshares. The main problem is that you are not getting any equity in the property itself, just the right to occupy for a specified period. All they have to do is sell the time shares, pull all the money out and let the place go bankrupt. Share owners have no standing in the bankruptcy, thus get nothing. When the assets are auctioned off, the same scammers often repurchase it using straws and do it all over again.

dj

Went on one of those Talay free lunches once with a very impressable BG. they wanted me to front up with $US10,000 on my credit card before I left.

Of course my card was fortunately zapped out and they didn't get a sale out of me. Got the free tour though. Looks nive but smelled a scam.

Time sharing scams are very common in south europe. Every year there are reports on this scams going on at famous mass tourist destinations like the spanish islands.

The people who do the scams are very skillful in psychology and how to pressure people to sign a contract within an afternoon. As others said to buy 1/52 of an apartment for 25 years is quite stupid and often there is no guarantee that the buildings will be finished. If the buildings are finished, the quality often is very low and there is no guarantee for a proper maintenance. In any case it seems to be always a bad deal which could mean a loss of a lot of money and trouble for years until the time sharing owners give up and accept their losses.

Says kamui:

Time sharing scams are very common in south europe. Every year there are reports on this scams going on at famous mass tourist destinations like the spanish islands.

The people who do the scams are very skillful in psychology and how to pressure people to sign a contract within an afternoon. As others said to buy 1/52 of an apartment for 25 years is quite stupid and often there is no guarantee that the buildings will be finished. If the buildings are finished, the quality often is very low and there is no guarantee for a proper maintenance. In any case it seems to be always a bad deal which could mean a loss of a lot of money and trouble for years until the time sharing owners give up and accept their losses.

Exactly: well said, sir :up:. A British bloke I once worked with was conned sight-unseen into buying a time-share "villa" in Spain. Job duties in Asia meant he could basically never get to the pad during his single alotted 1 week per year so he ended up giving the place away rent-free for that week to his mates (I stayed there once: it was a shitehole :( ? no hot water and perched slap-bang next to a huge rubbish tip ::) most years. It was in a very dodgy area and, to cap it all off, land subsidence kicked in after a few years :doah:. The poor guy had to pay for loads of repair work on the building and was totally stressed out about it all the time :banghead:. Talk about a ball and chain :help:.

The tale has a happy conclusion though :). He ended up signing the crock of shit over to his ex-missus as a "wedding anniversary" present :applause:;):bow:.

jack :drunk:

>>>PLEASE STAY AWAY... they dont work out any cheaper, and your choice is restricted... thats the best outcome... the worst especially in a place like Thailand is that you lose $5000 or more....<<<

Agreed, all things considered, even if they are genuine, you will more than likely be taking your annual weeks in thailand rather than anywhere else so why not just purchase a condo or studio. OK probably costs triple the money plus a maintenance charge, but it is yours to stay in whenever you want, and when you dont stay there, you could rent it out. Then with your rental income paid into a local thai account, you may not have to worry about saving for your next trip there. Well thats what a friend of mine does anyway...

A couple of years ago I was stopped on Beach Road and as I was bored and the girl was cute, decided to do their little survey. Then, as I really did think the girl was cute, and I was really really bored, and slightly curious, i agreed to be driven out to the site of a supposed development. Oh, there was also promise of refreshing drinks for free, maybe that was the real clincher, I can't remember.

Anyway, we went for a long drive in a Baht Bus and finally arrived at what seemed to be a deserted construction site. There was a portacabin with a couple of tables. The nice girl immediately vanished and was replaced by a pair of spotty Essex wide boy types. OK, I thought, I'll get my refreshing drink and leave. But it turned out they didn't have anything to drink at all, not even cold water. Instead, they had brochures and a boring spiel about their 'luxurious' timeshares. They insisted I go and see them, but I declined. They then insisted that I put a deposit down...blah blah blah. I enquired about getting taken back to Pattaya. No car...surprise surprise. After a while I agreed to look at a 'property...just to alleviate the boredom, as I had no intention whatsoever of buying one. Ahh, but in fact they would rather I paid a deposit first, and couldn't show me after all.

After an hour or so it got through to their thick heads that they weren't going to break me. So they started just started chatting generally. This was slightly less boring, but still very tedious The kind of person I wouldn't want to chat with in a bar. Eventually I walked up the road and got a Baht bus back.

So, if you want to be bored stiff for a few hours, and enjoy being parched and bored at the same time, do what i did and go to view one of their properties, you'll be glad you did.