Pattaya Timeshare scam?

chilli13

well done mister valentino - that's exactly the one they we're trying to sell me. starting price for 1 week 19k. last offer 5k. very last offer on the 3 year trial was 'only' 2k euro! good deal if all they said we're valid...

wonder how they're able to pull of the CC dosh & what sort of certificate they'd give you?

the good thing about little hill is it's near to butterfly bar, but apart from that a shitty location ;)

cheers guys for helping me getting over the lost deal of the century :hug:

Little hill time share

That's disgusting. I hope by it being posted here we can stop other 'sanukers' from getting caught.

I think the 2k euro trial period was solely for membership of Interval International. Even if it included three weeks accommodation, that's hardly a good deal. Especially once you include the maintenance charges.

If their Pattaya properties are so badly located, you should have no reason to think that any others in the scheme are better located.

Steer well clear.

Timeshare info & Forum

Excerpts from the site;

Getting your money back

Under the credit card companies voluntary code

Irrespective of your statutory rights of cancellation, credit card companies operating VISA or Mastercard will ?claw back? your deposit in the following circumstances:

? if you signed an agreement to buy a timeshare or holiday or travel club membership ? in any country

? if you paid by a personal credit card (but not by debit or charge card) issued in the UK

? and you can provide evidence of sending a written cancellation within 10 days of signing the agreement. You are recommended to make a demand for a full refund (witin 21 days) from the seller before contacting your credit card company.

and another interesting excerpt:

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

If you have paid the full amount on the agreement, and paid all or part (more than GBP 100) by personal credit card or loan, then you may have rights under Section 75 the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This applies to purchases made anywhere in the world provided that the card was issued in the UK but a number of banks are less than helpful - currently (April 2003) the following banks fail to fully honour Section 75 for purchases made abroad:- Barclaycard, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Tesco, Morgan Stanley & Lloyds TSB.

If you bank with any of these, check with them before you travel.

ib,

Shit - I forgot to post about this the other week. It happened to me. I was on my way to Soi 7 and reckoned on crossing via the Nana BTS and there were 2 girls and 1 guy with clipboards outside Pacific Place. Having had a couple of Heinekens in the DieNasty beforehand I was feeling full of the joys of spring and the milk of human kindness (and one of the girls was crumpet) and so I filled out their 'tourism survey'.

Next day - 10 in the freakin' morning and the phone rings. "Condratulations. you have won a prize" and then this woman went on burbling about a presentation and what time did I want picking up - 1.30, 2.30 or 3.30?

She was still rabbitting on when I put the phone down. Guess they must be used to that 'cos they never phoned again.

Should I be kicking myself? I mean - I did win something. Didn't I?

To echo STH and others - all timeshare is bollocks. Total and utter fucking bollocks. There's a guy at my place of work right? He is as gullible as shit (For instance I told him that there is a 'Directors Cut' of the 'Railway Children' in which Jenny Agutter gives Mister Perks a blowjob in the cupboard she is hiding in on his birthday - and yeah - he believes it. Keeps asking for 'Railway Children Redux' down at Blockbuster). Anyway, this guy has got two timeshares. The muppet.

My experience was a little better. I got to see what was quite a nice 1 bedroom villa. The 'private pool' was more of an outdoor bath but actually the place looked decent enough.

I also got a bit of food and a soft drink (yeuch).

I recognised a timeshare con pretty quickly. I went from the pleasant English saleswoman, then the Essex wideboy tried, followed by an aggressive Aussie salesman. The tactics went from fawning all over me to veiled insults.

My retort of "I can get a perfectly good hotel room for 750 baht -when I want it and much closer to town" drew derisory comments of living in a dump when I could be in 'the lap of luxury'.

They made me wait for my ride back.

I believe one can go and rent these places nowadays, when you want, no maintenance fee.

As I said, I hope somebody who was persuaded by 'View Talay' several years ago can post how they feel now.

The girls doing the surveys do know what it's all about. My girlfriend did it for a while and her and her mates knew without having me explain it. She even went along with me to a 'consultation' to see how the hard sell was put on.

The girls got 1,000 baht for every customer they got out to the site. This was for the View Talay one a few years back.

Hi!

I don't doubt you but I have on a couple of occasions told the girls that I'm not in the market for time share appartments. They are either extremely good actors or they don't have a clue to what I'm saying. Perhaps some do understand that it's a scam and others don't.

regards

ALHOLK

The street questionnaire girls dont have a clue about the operation.

BTW just to stick up for time share - my parents bought a few weeks in the south of spain in the 80s and never regretted it. Went to America a few times swapping their weeks and so on. They had some minor problems but no more than a hotel over the same period. Its sold now because they are retired but apart from taking slightly longer than they thought it was still sold and they made an ok profit.

Its all down to the operator. If they are good, then you might not have any problems but if they are bad....

Hi!

Obviously all time share operations aren't scams. In Sweden in the 80'ies they were common in the skiing resorts up north. Most of them were perfectly legit. The prices however were based on the assumption that they would rise steeply over a long period of time. Eventually the bubble burst ofcourse and lots of people lost their money.

Time share might bee a good alternative for some but for those who need flexibility in their planning I don't think they are.

Considering the week legal protection for foreigners in Thailand, especially those without heaps of money, I would be very careful.

regards

ALHOLK