Any low-end brothels in town?

I was not going to post this because it delves too deeply into my past, but having spent years working on this topic, some of my old self has crept up.

I do not have first hand knowledge of the indentured servitude situation in Thailand/Burma/Cambodia etc.

But I do have first hand knowlegde of it in India, where I helped couragous people (although from the safety of my office) rescue bonded and indentured workers, mostly children in all sorts of work and sex industries, and always at the risk of their own lives because of the collusion between the

local authorities and the agents and brothels, factories, ect.

The expereinces of the children are especially horrifying and stem from the same set of circumstances we are discussing here.

What is important to understand is that these children will never, ever be the same and have been utterly robbed of their childhood and their originally slim chance at any sort of future.

It is also CRITICAL to understand that these "loans" are nearlly, if not in all cases, impossible to pay off. You pay it off when you can no longer work, and in many cases, they demand another sibling to take over to repay the original loan.

DO NOT fool yourself. Indentured servitude is slavery which your parents, wittingly or unwittingly, sold you into.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS--

Sorry, I've been away and unable to post.

I was only returning Stone Soup's insults and innuendo about me. He started it. Go look at the history of the thread.

I have discovered new information that has turned me totally against indentured prostitution. In theory it's just paying in advance for future services, but it's manipulated totally to the Mafia Pimp's advantage. For instance, at many brothels, in fact most of the ones that I have personal knowledge of, business is very slow. There's none of this 10 or 12 guys a night that some speak of--more like one guy in 10 nights for the not so good looking girls. So meanwhile, while they're earning nothing, their room and meal costs are being added to their debt, so they really can't pay it off. I also met a fellow who told me he had tried to pay off two girls' debts at a brothel in Cambodia, but the papasan, who was a policeman run by the mafia, wouldn't sell, because he said he was making too much money from them (they being particularly popular girls) That was the final straw for me.

Obviously, this indentured business should be illegal, but the NGO's answers--make prostitution illegal and enforce it--is not the answer. Making it illegal and keeping it illegal means that the Mafia will continue to run it. My preferred solution is to make it legal everywhere, with women their own bosses, and raise the level of public acceptance so that prostitutes are considered respectable citizens (even saints, in my opinion). But since that would mean no profit for the mafia, the politicians will never enact my solution.

Just like keeping drugs illegal feeds the mob, so does keeping commercial sex illegal. And that's the real reason it is illegal, despite moral posturings to the contrary by the world's governments.

Another misconception--those places in CM are not 200 baht a throw, for farangs they are 500 b. I used to go there for the simple reason that the girls there were better looking than the girls in the beer bars (at least, more my type--more Chinese, whiter skin) There was nothing terrible going on there. Men who came, both Thai and Falang, were respectful of the girls. I never heard anything horrible going on, and in those rooms you can hear what goes on in all the neighboring rooms.

And I strongly suspect that most of the girls in those places average less than one guy a day. I say this because there were never many customers there. Often I was the only one.

But as I said, indentured is abominable and the question we should ask is...why is it still going on? You know the pols could stop it if they wanted to.

now that's a good post! :D

>>>but the NGO's answers--make prostitution illegal and enforce it--is not the answer.<<<

most NGOs who deal inside the prostitution world are actually asking for exactly what you have asked for - to legalise prostitution.

what they try to have enforced is that the business of debtcontract bonded prostitution and outright slavery of children and grown up women is investigated and perpetrators are prosecuted and imprisoned.

if you have a bit of a closer look on the subject you will find some very realistic NGOs, but of course there are some oulandishly naiv NGOs as well.

to actually improve the whole situation just working in the prostitution alone will improve not that much in the long run. a lot of thing have to go hand in hand here, NGOs working on the villagelevel are equally important, like in some areas identifying families whose daughters are in immediate danger to be sent to the brothels and giving those girls educational opportunities.

and most important - a government which has some long term plans of how to improve the lot of the farming communities.

Bloat -

I made the eighth post on this thread. My comments were directed to Khun Sanuk, following his comments to keep locations of low-end brothels off the board. My post stated my own feelings - and I consider myself the expert on how I feel. If I get the creeps, that's my problem. I made no statement that claimed I was unveiling "ultimate truth".

If I wanted to directly insult you, I would have been much more vicious.

A lot of people have danced all around the subject - pretty well addressing the whole spectrum of the issue.

Maybe the whole thing related simply to use of words. "Low end brothel" - just what does that mean? To me, it means totally victimized girls chained to their beds, forced to have sex as often as the management feels like, with whatever scum walks through the door - and with nothing to say about it. They rarely (or never) leave the place.

Is this a fair interpretation of the term "low end brothel"? I don't know. Let's apply a test - what are the next couple of steps on the spectrum of sexual services BELOW the term, "low-end brothel"?

Frankly, I can't think of any. "Gee, I want to find a place where i can fuck little girls - but I forget what they call such a place?". Or maybe "I want to screw dead bodies - what do they call a place for doing that?" Or maybe - "I want to go to a place where I can participate in gang-raping of virgins - what do they call the place????". I want to go to a studi where I can see "snuff films being made".

There just isn't anything much operative below the term"low-end brothel" - that basically describes a place of cruel sexual slavery, at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't know where the idea came from that Thai massage parlours equate to "low end brothels". I know ladies from Annies, and from Poseidon - and they all live in apartments, far away from where they work. They go home from their jobs at the end of shift, and they are free to quit if they don't like the work. Some of them make good money - better earnings than many Thai branch bank managers. Are these happy, satisfying jobs? Probably not. Do Eden Club girls enjoy their jobs? Probably not too very much. But - there are lots of "levels" of sexual employment that fall lower on the scale than these places.

I think this is not the case for "low-end brothel". That is a terminal point, beyond which they don't even assign names.

Here at the end of the thread, you appear to have somewhat changed your tone (other than still whining about how I picked on you). With respect to your new observations, I pretty much support your latest assessments.

And - maybe the whole argument simply progressed from mininterpretation of your words - maybe what you meant to say was you were looking for an "inexpensive massage parlor".

Whatever - if you are a black-hearted guy, then I'll leave you to your low-end brothels and Lumpini Park streetwalkers - it's pretty unlikely that you and I will bump into each other is either of those venues anyway. And if my comments in post #8 were correct, then you probably won't run into very many Nanaplaza members in either of those venues either. But - maybe I'm wrong.

If I just misunderstood you - then my comments are unnecessarily harsh - but, I'm sure you'll get over it.

This time, I have replied directly to you. If you find my comments insulting, then I guess we'll just have to stay our of each other's way. Since there seems to be some thought that this is "your" thread, I'll back away and leave you have the last word - at least with respect to my comments.

Stone Soup

Archived