Report - Renewal of Thai Driver's License

'Just adding to the knowledge base repository here.

Headed down to Sukhumvit Soi 99 (plus a stumble) to renew my Thai driver's license yesterday - in advance of its expiratiuon on May 31st. This was my third renewal - and the latest I'd ever gone in the month of expiration.

Note 1: Do NOT wait until last couple days of month. The crowd at month end is at least 10x the crowd at mid-month.

Processing hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Entering the building,poick up blank forms at desk immediately to left as you enter. For new licenses, you get a long form. Make sure you get the shorter form - for renewals. If you need photos, go through glass doors at far right end of waiting hall, as you enter. 4 photos for 70 baht. Just get in line for the little booth. ay 70 baht afterexiting booth, wait two minutes for photos to dry in "hair-dryer" drying box.

The registration office is one of the most confusing and "no English" places I've ever seen - very good idea to bring along a Thai associate to help out - filling out the renewal form, and running interference.

Fill out form, then get in line at window #1. For renewal, you need to show passport w/non-im visa, (and provide signed copy), and provide old license and two photos. If address is unchanged since last license, no need for embassy address certification. Also no need for medical certificate - this is only required every fifth renewal year. I brought work permit and copy, but they showed no interest in these.

Upon "blessing" by Window #1, you head to Window #3 to pay - the princely sum of 105 baht. They then give you a number card - either yellow or blue - and tell you to sit down and wait your turn. At month end, it takes 75 minutes. Mid-month, maybe 10-15 minutes. They call by color and number - you then step up to Window 4, sign their copy of regsitration record, and they then hand you your license - sign on back.

You may then return to photo booth and have your new license laminated - 15 baht.

The good thing about a Thai driver's license is that with it, I have never had to show a passport - in practice, it is considered to indicate that you are here legally - and since it actually lists your Thai address, it actually provides more info than your passport.

For initial license - you still need medical certificate and embassy certification of your address. In 2000, when I got my initial license, I did not have to take a written or prractical test - they just wanted to see a valid driver's license from mt home country (USA) which I still had at that point.

Be alert - Bangkok needs more lerts!

StoneSoup

You for sure need to be here on an entry permit issued against a non-immigrant visa. I'm not sure about the work permit - when I originally got my license, I was here on a non-im "O" , and I did not have a work permit. Now I'm on a business-based extension of that non-im "O" - and they had no interest in my work permit at renewal.

SS

No WP need for initial licence..

Letter from Embassy

Medical

pictures (small)

105B

and Non immigrant passport photocopy

Your original D. L from your home country

There you take an Eye test and they process your new DL based on your Old DL

I beleive for a motorcycle you have to take a test.. not with a car.. They have a test in English

You mean you can renew your licence early now? Years ago when I drove here (before traffic got so insane), you had to go for renewal on the same day it expired! I went down once a couple of days early ... and got turned away. They told me to come on the day it expired. Seemed totally assinine to me.

:dunno:

I've been told in Chiang Mai that one may apply for a driver's licence up to one month in advance of the current license's expiration. One would think that the policy would be consistent across the country but then again, TIT...

After reading the previous thread regarding IDL?s, I thought it was about time I got this issue sorted out.

I was stopped by the police last week for no reason and the first thing he said was driving license. Showed him my UK license and he said he couldn?t read it, but was sure that everything was ok, asked where I lived and where I had been, then politely sent me on my way. I was lucky.

I went for my car and motorcycle licenses on Thursday.

From Pattaya I had to go to Soi 8 immigration police first.

Was asked for two lager photos and two small, copy of O visa, copy of our (wife?s) blue house book, Health certificate, UK drivers License and 400 baht.

After filling out form was told to come back the next day, and was then given (what I was told were) two resident permits that I needed to obtain the licenses, one for car and one for motorbike.

Then went to the Licensing office ( A long way from Pattaya) and supplied copies of everything again, plus 4 small pics. Luckily there is a place across the road in case you need extra copies or pics.

They were about to close by the time I had obtained the two extra pics, but after greasing a ladies hand with 500b I was quickly whisked through to the testing area for a simple eye test from her. Not really a test at all, more of a joke and a smile.

Was then told the computers had now been shut down for the day, but to return on Monday morning to see her, and she would give me my Licenses. Haven?t paid for them yet, but I think they are 500 each.

The hardest part was finding the office.

Mike.

Archived