Report - Renewal of Thai Driver's License

I am pretty sure the price for getting the licence and renewing it is so close as to not warrant any bother baht wise. I had the info saved somewhere but cannot find it, let us know what they end up charging you, should be close to this figure..

Kangaloo,

Just back from the Licensing office.

Was in and out in 2 mins flat and called to the window as soon as the girl I dealt with on Friday saw me. (In front of many people waiting.)

As I was told by other farang friends, the price was 500b for each license.

Scam? Probably as the receipt?s said 105b for car and 55b for bike.

?But no driving test and an un-hassled quick friendly service.

Two tier pricing here as everywhere else it seems, but I?m satisfied with the service and made no complaints.

Cost?s.

400b Immigration Police for resident permits.

100b Doctors certificate.

245b Pics and photo copies.

500b Tip. (No test)

1000b for both licenses.

Total 2,245 THB.

Cheers,

Mike.

In Samui you need to do a test for your first license. Driving with a few basic skills and a written test, unless it's worth 1.000Baht to avoid this.

Prices are 105 and 55Baht for respectively car and bike.

You need a copy of your passport, 4 pix and two letters from Immigration stating you live on Samui.

You can extend nowadays beforehand but I'm not sure how long beforehand.

Fair enough dude, you went the easy corruption route ::

If you front up with the pics, letter from embassy stating where you live, Non imm visa, and existing licence from back home, all you have to do is the eye test and pay ya 105 and 55 baht. Oh and medical which should cost you 60-80 baht at any local clinic.

Biggest expense is the embassy letter, which I usually copy and sign and give them the copy so I can use the original for other things, its usually good for a few months at least.

Hi Kangaloo,

I had the Immigration police letter?s which were the same as the Embassy letter?s at a cost of 400b. after supplying all the relevant documents.

The doctors cert I obtained at a cost of 100b after a brief medical, and supplied everything else required. Everything above board at this stage

The funny thing was that I wasn?t really offered another route other than this at the licensing office, and I was told to expect the 500b per license from a few guys before me. ::

I think it?s a case of see farang, see money, and farang doesn?t need a hard time obtaining his license.

Maybe if my Thai wife had of been with me it would have been different.

Still as I said in my last post, not really a problem.

I learnt that it's best to go with the flow here. ::

Cheers,

Mike.

Archived