World's Best/Worst Airports...

MooNoi

I've been through most of the Middle East airports at one time or another and with the exception of Dubai they are very depressing places. However the one that takes the biscuit is Damascus, only went through there once about 20 years ago so it might have improved. In the departure lounge, if it could be called that, most of the windows were all smashed, hardly anywhere to sit, the bar wanted 5 bucks for a beer and they would only take dollars. Added to that there were about hundred blood stained Palestinians lying around the place, not pleasant ..

A couple of other honourable mentions go to Bucharest and Prague, during the Iron Curtain era. Armed guards everywhere trying to bum smokes, hardly any lights on and nothing open.

Totally agree on the comments of Terminal 3 at Heathrow, just a mess .. Anyone know if the Shakespeare has opened again ?? It was the only place to take refuge for a few hours.

As for the best, I have to agree with the consensus here on Changi.

Cheers

K

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

During the Soviet era I used to fly Aeroflot to BKK. They often stopped at Delhi. I agree that the place is a dump run by idiots. However the stop before Delho was Tashkent. This airport cant be described it had to be seen. The first time I was there was in 1982. The place looked like an abandoned construction site. As we landed at night I assumed taht they were upgrading their aairport. The second time I landed there was in 1989. The place looked precisely the same. I saw the same piles of concrete and the same construction equipment, albeit a little rustier.

As a side note I met a couple of younger Swedes some years after I stopped flying Aeroflot who had come with them. I smiled and asked how they liked Tashkent. They said the place was great. The aiport had a night club with cheap booze and strip tease. They almost missed their onward flight. Obviously some things have cchanged since the fall of the Soviet union. :D

regards

ALHOLK

Worst- no doubt heathrow flew into terminal 1 last night from madrid at 22:30 nothing at all open,its 2003 for christ`s sake, the layout of the place is a complete shambles.

Best-without doubt Amsterdam the planners should go to heathrow and teach them a thing or 2.Followed by Miami.

if you ever get the opportunity to go to Dacca Airport in Bangladesh, don?t.

they locked us in the plane for 2 hours while they changed the lavatory module dropping in on the tarmac so hard it split open making us suffer even more. To make up for it they let us off the plane to use the terminal lavatories, a completely new life experience.

cheers

3d

Although they are dead-boring (as opposed to something like HK Airport), I found the regional airports in China to be surprisingly modern and reasonably well-equipped. Still didnt enjoy waiting in the departure lounge, but not a whole lot worse than an Australian airport (same designer, I suspect..).

Changi is the best by a mile. The shops are excellent and I really enjoy the restful landscaping after a hectic trip.

Vancouver airport (YVR) is also very well designed for a smaller town. It contains some really fine native art works including a giant bronze by the famous Haida artist Bill Reid.

So many of the worl's airports are deadful that its hard to identify the worst. Perhaps it is San Francisco (SFO) which I am obliged to use fairly frequently.

I would agree Delhi and Mumbai are the pits. Lagos airport, particularly when arriving, is horrible (I was also blatantly asked for a "donation" by the passport control person eventhough i had a valid visa). Cairo and Joburg are not nice.

I do particularly like Singapore and Dubai. I enjoy Riyad upon departure! :)

Archived