Software you can't do without

soongmak

This was a great thread... however apart from the most recent couple of posts, its all 2003-4, so pretty-much out of date now.

Anyone care to update some cool software they're using in 2009 that might help the rest of us?

(Personally, particularly interested in free stuff that tunes up PC operations and anti-virus/malware stuff - but obviously all suggestions are welcome).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Here is a suggested list for people who want to avoid pirated software, but still avoid spending too much money. For many, a switch to Ubuntu Linux would work at least as well, but I assume those reading this topic are interested in Windows only. All programs are free unless otherwise specified.

- 7-Zip to handle compressed files (free and much cleaner and faster program than Winzip, WinRAR etc.)

- Irfanview with all plug-ins

- CutePDF (free "printer" to create PDF files)

- Foxitreader (more efficient alternative to Adobe Reader for PDF files)

- ImgBurn (free and much better for basic CD/DVD burning than programs like Nero)

- Firefox 2.5 with Adblock Plus extension (subscribe to EasyList and perhaps another region specific list depending on where you surf)

- uTorrent if you need support for torrents

- Eset Nod32 Antivirus : this you must pay for, but it is worth it. The program is efficient and just does a better job than AVG and Avast!

- Spybot and Adaware (still good after many years)

- Klite codec pack (full is enough, mega is overkill and may have problems)

- Media Player Classic and Real Alternative

- OpenOffice 3.1 (big ugly office suite, but free and opens pretty much any office file you are likely to receive; set default for saving to Microsoft Office formats so less enlightened folks can open files you send them)

- Picassa 3 (used as an alternative photo editing program to Irfanview; sometimes one works better, sometimes the other)

- (for power users only) Total Commander (shareware, and you should pay if you use it regularly; very powerful with the right plug-ins; setup to use it effectively takes time)

Most people do not need MS Office, Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Photoshop. Save your money.

If anyone wants a list for software development under Windows, let me know.

• 2 years later...

Bringing up an old subject (in two places even) - but does anyone have any new "Desktop Search" programs - ever since the Google Desktop Search was discontinued I've lost my way.

On a Mac no external program is needed, since Spotlight and Finder work fine. I think the search program of Windows 7 is fine too.##

Most important for me is, that essential information is available on other Apple devices (Notebook, iPhone, iPad).

My top list of software which work on Mac, Windows OS + plus mobile devices:

Wunderlist (free task manager, great design, easy to use)

Filemaker 12 (great database program - works easily with in a local net, it can be accessed by iPhone and iPad as well)

Sugarsync (syncs 100 GB of data our office PCs)

• 1 month later...

On a Mac no external program is needed, since Spotlight and Finder work fine. I think the search program of Windows 7 is fine too.##

Most important for me is, that essential information is available on other Apple devices (Notebook, iPhone, iPad).

My top list of software which work on Mac, Windows OS + plus mobile devices:

Wunderlist (free task manager, great design, easy to use)

Filemaker 12 (great database program - works easily with in a local net, it can be accessed by iPhone and iPad as well)

Sugarsync (syncs 100 GB of data our office PCs)

Another one for the iPAD is PDF Printer, drop any document in and convert to PDF, also converts Photos and more importantly (for me) websites as PDF,

I have the full Thai Civil and Commercial Code, Thai Criminal Code, All my Indictments, court orders, evidence lists, evidence and case notes taking up next to no room on my iPAD.

I saw the judge last week, or should I say he came to see me when I was checking up on my case, I asked him if I could use my iPAD during the court hearings and he not only agreed with my request he had a letter typed and placed into the case file in case her lawyer objects.

• 8 months later...

Time to resurrect an old Thread

Even better than SKYPE is a new sevice i found called LINE (https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/line/id443904275?mt=8)

also available for Android devices as well.

You can make international calls to Landlines and mobiles and it is FREE (I like Free) either from WIFI, 3G or GSM there are no ISP costs incurred. OK no VDO conference options such as SKYPE has but what do you expect for nothing, also can send free SMS international.

At the moment it seems to be very much SE Asian biased, the company is in Japan but I can only see it getting bigger. SKYPE was good until Micro$cum bought them out now it seems to be heading downhill as long with M$ security issues and the voice quality for a VOIP is a lot better.

I would recommend it to anyone using an IOS or Android device, it has saved me over 10,000 THB in the past week alone with the number of Phone calls I have been making to the UK.

As I said I like anything which is FREE :)

I'd love to get rid of Vonage, and its $40 per month charge for unlimited international calling (which my wife uses every nite and morning to LOS). But then, I'd also like to get rid of cable, since my 5 year old has taken over the use of the TV in my bedroom and insisted on watching cartoons 24/7. I plan on doing this at the end of May, when they all leave for Thailand for the summer. The one thing that I won't have is for the 5 year old to become like his 18 year old half brother; a typical, lazy self centered male thai.

Archived