Software you can't do without

soongmak

Mongatu,

I completely agree with your method of handling email attachments and except for backing my harddrive to another external harddrive, I follow the same procedure. Unfortunately, I still got hit with 3 viruses and my virusscanner was completely up to date. In all these cases the viruses were brand new and were not recognized by my anti virus program (I used Grisoft's AVG at the time). These incidents tells you that an anti virus program protection is always limited, due to the timespan between the release of a virus and the release of the update of the anti virus software.

As for backing up an image of your harddrive to an external harddrive, How much time does it take you to do so? and how many gigs of data do you backup? and is this harddrive connected through usb 1.0, 2.0 or firewire?

Cheers,

soongmak

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this thread has been a great wealth of information for me too.

Often I see a thread like this that I wish I could tag, or lock or something so I could refer back to it again.

Is there a simple way to do this? That is, identify a thread you want to 'save' for later?

And, thanks guys, particularly you techies for helping out those of us who are technologically challenged. :applause:

I would have thought that you could save a particular thread in your favourites folder in Internet Explorer.

Just click on Favourites at the top of the screen, give the link a name, and you should be able to revisit this page whenever you click on the link saved in your favourites. I havent tried it, till now and it seems to work. Not sure if the Thread numbers get changed at any time though, any idea KS?

Sarisin,

At the bottom of the thread, far left (at least if viewed in "flat mode") there is a link that says "Favorite!".

Click that one and the thread should now show up as a bookmark in "My Home" (see link at the top of the board).

I just tried it -- and it did work! :)

Says Sarisin:

Yes, this thread has been a great wealth of information for me too.

Often I see a thread like this that I wish I could tag, or lock or something so I could refer back to it again.

Is there a simple way to do this? That is, identify a thread you want to 'save' for later?

And, thanks guys, particularly you techies for helping out those of us who are technologically challenged.
:applause:

I just found a fantastic software to save texts from the board or from other pages on the net:

Cogitum Co-Citer

With this software you can grab all marked text with a right click and store it with additional info (date, URL, personal comment) on your computer.:up:

Since I installed it I use it frequently for articles e.g.. Before I found the software, occasionally I read something on the net and later couldn't find it anymore.:banghead:

By the way, it's freeware, but it's only for text. For images :devil: (also with information on the source) there is a different program on their homepage.

I just found one disatvantage: It only works with Internet Eplorer 5+ ::, but not with Opera which I use as second browser.

I just found one disatvantage: It only works with Internet Eplorer 5+

That?s too bad it only works with IE. I use the Mozilla browser and find eCleaner (also a freebie) works fairly well for saving HTML files as plain text, but it does have an irritating tendency of dropping spaces here and there...

Anyone know of something that works better?

ST

Thought I would pass along another program I?ve been using the last few months that I find most useful ? Cupernic 2001 basic. This freebie is an amazing net search tool that utilizes no less than a dozen other search engines simultaneously to find what you are looking for. Also, it?s a breeze to step out of and back into to continue your search without starting over. Definitely a must have utility.

ST

Says SOONGMAK:

Kamui,

That Cogitum program sounds interesting. Unfortunately, the website doesn't mention compatibility with windows xp. What is your OS?

It seems that it works with every version of windows which supports IE5+. And you can store texts in every language supported by your OS (Thai, Japanese e.g.) :up:

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, on how to make this a favorite or book mark of mine.

Actually, what I was hoping was that the moderator, adikgede, or perhaps KS, could lock this thread at the top of this section (like the rules) as this seems to me like a good thread to keep handy at all times.

Just a suggestion...

Archived