Software you can't do without

soongmak

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really not directed at you Mr. Coops, just glad to finally see some new additions to this thread.

Anyway, Mozilla browser Ver. 1.4 is now available (news to me) and it?s supposed to have an improved popup blocker along with many other fixes over Ver. 1.3 (which worked fine for me). Figured what the hell, so upgraded the other day, but don?t see much difference other than it now strips the pictures from my BBC world news homepage :(. Oh well, I guess that?s progress?

ST

Not freeware - but all the posts on spyware got me thinking -

Spector - you install it on a box (or network) there's no trace of it (no icons, folders in the registry - and you password protect it) - and it basicaly takes a snapshot (up to one a second), records all keystrokes, and captures all internet mail (yahoo, hotmail), and every single wesite visited..

You log back on later and can watch the whole thing 'like a vcr'

http://www.spectorsoft.com/default.asp?refer=12408

I've never seen it in Panthip - but maybe I'll look around again - might be fun, or scary..

:doah:

Says silvergoat:

Not freeware - but all the posts on spyware got me thinking -

Spector - you install it on a box (or network) there's no trace of it (no icons, folders in the registry - and you password protect it) - and it basicaly takes a snapshot (up to one a second), records all keystrokes, and captures all internet mail (yahoo, hotmail), and every single wesite visited..

You log back on later and can watch the whole thing 'like a vcr'

I've never seen it in Panthip - but maybe I'll look around again - might be fun, or scary..

:doah:

Clever piece of software, but could be dangerous in the wrong hands :o

Says silvergoat:

I?ve heard of programs that keep a hidden record of keystrokes used on a terminal and the ?Spector? program you mention really worries me. How can you check to see if the machine you are using has this spyware installed? Wouldn't it show up as a running process with task manager?

When in LOS I depend on internet cafes for checking email and occasionally to access banking and credit card accounts. Haven?t had any problems yet, but would like to keep it that way. Sure hope someone can post an easy foolproof way to detect the presence of this program running in the background.

ST

I agree with adikgede. There are just too many ways they could capture info. Key stroke loggers that are part of keyboard itself, programs running, hidden cameras and with the computers networked together it seems to me they should be able to monitor what you're doing in real time.

Possible alternatives could be a laptop and find a hotspot or laptop friendly cafe. Or use one of the government telecommunication offices like CAT which provide internet access for cheap and control who has access to the hardrive. I've used these for banking and never felt overly paranoid about it.

Archived