"Matrix" - Best Tom Yam Gung

New Petchburi Pete

I love Tom Yam Gung, so does my wife. Anyone who lives in LOS, and fancies this dish, knows just how much the quality can vary ... plus, everyone has their own prefernces.

Last week I was about to take my wife into the Londoner for lunch (weekday), when we noticed that 'the establishment' immediately to the left, the "Matrix," which had been undergoing renovations for quite a while, was now open. The door was open; and, the A/C was enticing (the londoner skimps on A/C during luch, as does Bulls Head). There was a menu out front ... one quick peek, and we both agreed that we wanted Thai food. We were not to be disappointed.

BTW, the Matrix is a bowling alley, sports an internet cafe, and has an awesome sound system. Since we were the only customers (and the baby was sleeping nicely) the DJ was polite enough to turn down the volume and put on something relaxing for lunch. The place has a modern, neon appearance ... the bartender and waitress said they do a decent business at night (worth a peek, IMHO). But, the food was surprisingly excellent. I really enjoyed the duck dish that I had; but, the Tom Yam Gung that my wife ordered was the best we ever tasted ... fine presentation with five or six, very large, whole-bodied shrimp ... very phet phet! The cost for the Tom Yam was 120 Baht ... well worth it (steamed rice, ten Bhat) ... good staff. There was a couple bowling, but the taste of the soup more than made up for the sound of the pins ... plus, when the baby woke up, the waitress took care of the kid while we ate ... pleasant experience. I highly recommend this place, especially the Tom Yam Gung.

I used to frequent the Londoner; but, never saw what was in this establishment (next door, to the left) before. Now, it's a large bowling alley, with a kick-ass sound system. There's a small internet area; and, the restaurant & a good-sized lounge are in back, beyond the bowling area. There's also a couple of pool tables in the back ... one is the largest table I've ever seen, not sure about it's use. :dunno:

Today, when we went in at noon, unlike the first time at about 2:30pm, when we were the only ones eating in the restaurant, the place was filled with Thais on their lunch break. In addition to the regular menu, there's a very afforadble luncheon menu with many dishes for either 39 Bhat or 49 Bhat ... and, practically all the people who were bowling, were also eating at the same time. You can eat while you bowl if you like.

There's a setup for a live band ... my guess is that this would be a great place for a drink on a weekend evening.

Today, I had a mediocore cheeseburger for 120 Bhat (the burger at the Londoner is 250 Bhat + 10% 'service' charge, :banghead: and is somewhat better). The fries were hot and tasty;and, there was a decent portion of fresh veggies ... better than that 'spoonful' size serving of 'slaw at Londoner!

Again, the staff is attentive & friendly ... bathrooms quite nice also.

:up:

We like the Tom Yam at the Matrix because it's quite spicy & has no trace of sugar (like coconut water or juice) that is frequently found in Bangkok, especially at places that attract farangs. Take the Tom Yam Gung at Gulliver's, for example, ... basic taste is O.K., but, it's too sweet, etc., etc.

I've had great Tom Yam at many, small places in Isaan ... and, very cheap!

The best part about the dish at the Matrix is the quality, number and size of the shrimp ... most generous portion I've found in the Kingdom.

:bow:

Says New Petchburi Pete:

We like the Tom Yam at the Matrix because it's quite spicy & has no trace of sugar (like coconut water or juice) that is frequently found in Bangkok, especially at places that attract farangs. Take the Tom Yam Gung at Gulliver's, for example, ... basic taste is O.K., but, it's too sweet, etc., etc.

I've had great Tom Yam at many, small places in Isaan ... and, very cheap!

The best part about the dish at the Matrix is the quality, number and size of the shrimp ... most generous portion I've found in the Kingdom.

:bow:

Just asked my wife about this ..hope you dont mind a double input.

In her restaurant she puts 2 large prawns for an entree and main course she puts 6 and they are a large prawn i might add.

Oh and a pinch of sugar(she does not measure things just grabs stuff).

If i remember the Mae Ping was entree and maybe 2 or 3 prawns.

Archived