Firewire External HDD - File System?

Straycat

Issues with NTFS is that you won't be able to access NTFS partitions from DOS/Win9X if you have a need to boot up DOS from a floppy for any reason. As your primary boot drive is FAT32 this should not be an issue, its relevant to do this only for the primary partition.

Also, XP Pro has excellent utilities for recovery without booting up with DOS and using DOS tools.

With NTFS you can implement security with access control much better than FAT32. FAT32 has a file size limit of 4G.

Cheers!

Firewire is -- as you may know -- a standard for high-speed data transfer (so, no, I don't use it as a firewall. :neener::)

This is something that I wanted to have done for the last 12 months but never got around to do it. Last week, "the ball & chain" wanted to buy some karaoke crap at Fawjune [read: Fortune] and I saw The Moment to sneak away and be done with it :)) I used all sort of file storage solutions before (mainly CD/RW and ORBdrives) but I always found it to be a pain in the b***. I use the external drive now exactly as I use the internal one, storage, editing, running software and some for back-up.

Guys,

Now even more confused....... I did write "wall", no ? as in using it for protection....... and additional storage, right ?

Not using that for the moment, but definitely looking forward to buying a new laptop soon, might as well buy all in one go.

Cheers !

"Now even more confused....... I did write "wall", no ? as in using it for protection....... and additional storage, right ?"

Firewall is software you install on your PC, to protect it or several others if used on a network with a dedicated firewall computer. You can download free software from the net to install a firewall on your PC.

Firewire is an interface to plug in devices, an external firewire HDD is a harddisk plugged in via firewire interface.

Have you been drinking Belgium beer today BB :neener:

Cheers!

Archived