House back Home?

stumpy

I live in Pattaya most of the year, but keep a property in Australia and rent it out, so that I don't lose touch with the real estate market back home. I lodge (pay rent) at a mate's house when I go back, and help him out when he comes to LOS.

Here are 2 cautionary tales.

An English mate of mine in Pattaya on a pension sold up in London several years ago, but can now no longer afford to live where he grew up. Is worried about his health in old age. He's permanently exiled in LOS... not a bad fate I suppose.

Another friend of a friend went back to UK homeless. He had emphysema; was coping with it, but wanted to get some good immediate free treament in a British hospital. Here's a tip ... collapse at Heathrow on arrival! They'll take you straight to hospital. He got treated and a social worker arranged accommodation for him, without weeks of GPs, National Health waiting lists, and red tape

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: robaus ]

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

What do you guys living in Thailand do in terms of a property back in your homeland? Do you sell up or do you keep a property on there?

For the first 3 years I was here I rented out but had some problems with the agent letting to Social Security tenants who a) nicked the rent cheques for about 6 months B) didn't ever pay their contribution o I had to subsidise the mortgage payments and c) eventually rendered the place 'unfit for human habitation' and got rehoused!!

I then tried to sell the place when I was in the UK for a few weeks, had a reasonable offer which I offered to the building society who rejected it (we had 100% mortgage so needed their permission to sell so I stuck the keys through their letterbox, told them to stick it and came back to Thailand. Only real regret is that I didn't do it 3 years earlier!

LG

There's also the risk of the joint getting screwed. It's Friday the 13th and this am I awoke late for work to find that some little barsteward had burglarized me. Soft arse here had been wok cooking the other night and left the top kitchen window open a crack and forgot about it. Must have been a mighty slim burglar, probably an Aids riddled smackhead emaciated fuckwit,to get in that window. Then he whipped my wallet, cheque book, mobile, took a bag that looked like it contained a laptop only to dump it along with my jacket in the garden.

Wait for it, there is a Thai connection in there somewhere. The stupid bastard also took some Thai baht which was lying on some bookshelves in the front room. He got away with the princely sum of 400 baht. Probably thought he'd hit the jackpot. Left the coins and a couple of rupees.

Anyway the boys in blue came out, God bless em, and eventually had a visit from the CID. When I told him that some Thai baht was also amongst the missing goods his face lit up and he told me how all his mates at work rave on about LOS and how as he's now divorced he's planning on getting over there soon. So prepare for an invasion of Merseyside Police it will put the Cobra Gold exercise influx to shame.

Thanks Stump

It's put me right off my beer I can tell you. And it's now rapidly approaching Friday night. I'm thinking of cancelling some plans for the weekend as well 'cos I feel like Woody Allen, (no I don't want to shag my stepdaughter, if I had one), i.e. I feel nauseous.

Anyway, regards.

Archived