Does your girlfriend have HIV?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fiancee and I did pre-nuptial exams at Bumgrungrad and quality control seemed very much in order. I've been to that hospital several times and always been impressed with the excellent care.

Also the US Embassy in Bangkok uses Bumgrungrad (and only one other hospital) for the mandatory immigration medical check-up (which include an HIV test).

Says Thoemme:

Then we have about 40,000 HIV+ prostitudes all together, among

perhaps 2 million prostitudes in LOS. That would mean that

every 50th girl, or 2 percent of the BG have this virus.

WOW !!!

Lets say 74 million Thais, half are women, take under 18 and above 50 out, maybe you have 18 million women left.

So, according to you, 11 % of them are prostitutes ???

Closer and correcter figure would be around 150000, no more.

Cheers !

"My personal research into this (totally unscientific!) is that the rate of HIV infection among BGs servicing farangs is about 30%"

Hi MySabai Kwai,

I suspect that the 30% rate of HIV of your (totaly unscientific) research must be pretty high. HIV/AIDS is not really rampant here as far as I have heard. I think that most of us have taken a big-time chance at some point, e.g. wake up in the night and nail her once again and don't use a condom. I think that it is much more likely that the woman is going to get HIV from the man than the man from the woman and there are only a few cases of people reporting that they knew of someone being infected, on this board or on the other NEP board.

I had a talk with a doctor at Bunrungrad about the possibilities of becoming infected with HIV under different conditions and of course using a condom made the transfer the least likely and going down on a woman gives one the highest risk. Nothing is safer than no sex at all but that is not likely to be an option for the people that use this board.

zen

Yes, i admit, 2 million is too much, but i guess 200,000 is too less. Even in Germany there are about 120,000 .

Lets do the calculation again:

74 million peoples in Thailand,

half of them women = 37 million.

Let us suppose the prostitutes are in the age group of 15 (yes!) and 35, and the highest age in LOS is 75, then in this age group we have about 25% of all women, maybe a little less, = 9 million women. Now let us suppose 4% of them (1 in 25) are available for money, so we have about 350,000 prostitudes.

so with 40,000 HIV+ prostitutes we have 1 in 9 prostitutes is HIV+, on the average! Most of them you will find in the Thai scene.

the estimate considered most reliable for the total number of prostitutes in Thailand is 200,000.

------------------------------------------

No one really agrees with the numbers. As far as girls for sex tourism, it can have highs, but they may be seasonal. The main centers are Phuket, Koh samui, Suk and the pong in BKK, and Pattaya. i don't think that the girls around Loi Kroh and MoonMuang in CM add up to much.

Even at the busiest, i do not think sex tourism employs more than 100 000 girls, more likely less.

We hear numbers of 50 000 at some point of the year in Pattaya. Maybe, but it hardly adds up. let's say 500 bars and gogos, 30 in each (but more like 10 to 15 in bars max), that's 15 000. between Beach Rd, and freelancers hang outs, i cannot see 35 000 Fls, esp. as BGs and Gogos easily become FLs after hours.

How do you guys estimate the number of girls working around Suk?

PS: i am not very good with numbers. I can't even remember where I spent my last 500 bahts ::. It all seems to go so quick :(;)

Yes, you are right. A quick search with google showed that in 2000 Thailand had 62 million inhabitants. Then the calculation above shows that 2 in 15 prostitudes are HIV+

2 in 15 prostitudes are HIV+

-----------------------------

or 15%. regrettably accurate, IMO. That's for all prostitutes in LOS, as I do believe the sex industry for farangs carries much less HIV incidence than the local one.

PS: This is just talking anyway, protect yourself, my friends.....

Archived