Does your girlfriend have HIV?

I think the number of girls in the Thai-Thai scene has at least the same size than the bargirl scene with falangs. Think of all the hidden brothels in the provinces. Every bigger town has some brothels

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>as I do believe the sex industry for farangs carries much less HIV incidence than the local one. <<<

don't be too sure about that one.

contary to popular believe here under farang, in the local brothels nowadays condoms are the standard. researches by all the different bodies working on HIV have shown that. one supporting evidence is also that the rates of HIV new transmissions during commercial sex in thailand is nowadays neglectible. most new transmissions are nowadays during non commercial casual sex, within marriages, and of course still during intraveneus drug use.

anecdotal evidence shows me that the vast majority of sexpats rarely, if ever use condoms.

another anecdotal evidence was a number which was given to me by a doctor in the policehospital here in bangkok while my missus had the necessary healthcertificate including AIDS test for her 6 month visa to germany. most thai women who have to apply for such a special visa for many western countries have to go through that office. according to the doctor the vast majority are from the nightlife, and, he said, that about 30% (or 50%, i can't remember clearly, only that he mentioned a shockingly high number) fail because of an HIV infection.

and now to the speculations on the number of prostitutes in thailand. the biggest difficulty is the definition of prostitution. what does here in thailand fall under prostitution and what not?

if we take for example eric cohens excellent paper called 'open ended prostitution' than we will see that he argues very convincingly that most of the western oriented prostitution does not conform to the commonly valid definition of prostitution.

but it becomes much more confusing when we go into the thai prostitution scenery. by far not all sectors in the thai sex for sale world are knocking shops or massage parlours.

lets start at the bottom, the village prostitution. it is very common that village women (often married) have occasional sex for favours with villageheadmen, teachers, policemen or rich farmers. none of these will ever be found in any statistic as they never work in any karaoke or brothel. some do it while their husbands are working, meeting places are often small stalls or bars at the local market where meetings are somehow made. the deed is usually done at a later time in the shacks you see all over the ricefields.

the small karaoke prostitutes. girls often not employed hang out in small karaoke bars at times of financial need, and go with customers.

the thai cafe scene - many of the singers and dancers do go with clients as well, but not all, and not in all thai cafes.

then go to the student prostitution - none of those will ever turn up in any statistic as very few of those work in massage parlours. most meetings with clients are by internet or at specific malls.

then what i would call mia noi prostitution - those girls which have frequently changing sponsors.

so, how could you ever guestimate the number of prostitutes in thailand while you can't even apply large sectors of commercial into any definition of prostitution. and even if you could, the vast underground and part time activities will make it more than difficult to come even close to any believable number.

Funny you should mention this as when I first read this topic I though nothing much about it, but now I may add that a friend of mine was just confirmed positive as the BF wanted to check her out before getting involved any further...

So for me - now - all these numbers that have come up are pretty irrelevant as they're just that - numbers!

What matters is more to wrap up & protect eachother no matter how 'innocent' & 'unlikely' a STD carrier the partner for the night appears :o

Take care

fly, not sure if this post reflects your own views on this subject, but they are a bit over the top.

Schengen visa (which includes Germany) are issued for 10 countries. There is no 6 months visa, but only maximum 3 months (short stay) or longer than 3 months.

The rejection rate at Schengen Embassies is less than 10 percent, mostly due to financial status of the farang sponsor.

So a rejection rate of 30 percent due to HIV infection is just not accurate.

Infection rates in rural area's (especially in the north) is still very high (more than 30% is estimated by the WHO). This is particlularly the case in Thai oriented brothels that service the low income Thai males (soldiers, truckers, construction workers, farmers etc.)

Your discription of the - lets say - informal prostitution in Thailand is accurate.

Schengen visa (which includes Germany) are issued for 10 countries. There is no 6 months visa, but only maximum 3 months (short stay) or longer than 3 months.

::

In Norway, which is a part of Schengen, one can as you say stay for a maximum of three months, unless you apply for possible marriage visa. Then the girl can stay for six months.

anecdotal evidence shows me that the vast majority of sexpats rarely, if ever use condoms.

-----------------------------

i think i remember you rarely go to Pattaya, and maybe not that much in farangy sex spots in BKK. How did you get this kind of anecdotal data?

All the guys I know, except for that one married to a TG, 64, always stays home, are adamant they wear condoms, not only in LOS, but back home as well.

I also would like to know who infected the partners who end up disseminating the virus inside their couple?

I do agree with your view on prostitution in LOS. But definitely, getting a man is one of the few ways women have to fend for themselves financially. In that sense, the G in many GTG does not stand up to scrutiny. I think guys are getting the message, you don't have BGs and GTGs, but thai women, period. Deal with it ::!

even harder to get the freelancer info. But I know one girl who was working out of gulivers who was with a different guy every day for the seven consective days I was there. I was one of them she was not a stunner but she could sell herself she was a great sales person you just could not refuse she had an answer for every objection. Pretty good product it turned out to be to.

Archived