Costume Rental in Bangkok

StoneSoup

I am exploring the idea of helping to set up a costume rental shop in Bangkok. As best as I can tell, nothing of this type exists here - other than for wedding "costumes," and possibly for very serious classical Thai drama (Ramakien type costumes). Oh - and I suppose that sex-play / S&M type costumes are also readily available here somewhere.

What I am thinking of is something more like clown costumes for kids birthday parties, Santa Claus costumes for Christmas, Witch and Devil costumes for Halloween, and similar.

The main target martket for this business would be westerners in Thailand.

So- my question is - in addition to clown and Santa and Halloween costumes, what other stock character costumes would be in recurring demand here?

I'm looking for input from beyond the sanooker scene, so feel free to bring in perspectives from the workplace, schools, frnaternal organizations, etc.

Thanks!

StoneSoup

P127 -

But - I am not looking for comments about the business concept. I am just seeking ideas from users - parents, organziation members, hotel and bar manangers, school staff - concerning what character demands exist out there.

I am not interested in just the views of just boardmembers who are interested in businesses or careers here in Thailand.

This is not a question about a business concept. This is a question about what costumes/characters are of interest to potential renters in Bangkok - be it Leprechauns at St. Patrick's Day, or Father Time at New Year's eve. Or Jesters or Wizards, or Cowboys or Indians.

I've already got a list of about 50 key characters, from other research. I'm more interested at this point in national characters, related to national holidays - or other characters that may have unusual attraction here in Bangkok.

So - not a business question - instead, a question about unmet demand. But - maybe folks on this board could care less. That's fine.

Cheers!

SS

What i meant is that someone may be able to answer it, but not see it today or tomorrow, and by then it will be gone in outer pages. It will not go so fast in the career section, and you may find some answers to your query there as well, now or later on. Moreover, i just mentionned to COPY it there. As you see, I did not move it, as a mod, from the gen Disc.

SS - Where do you start...

Robin Hood - takes from the rich and gives to the poor (no pun intended to our young bar girl buddies) :D

Fagin from Oliver Twist - Steals from the rich and keeps it himself - of course no pun intended to any infamous bar owners in NEP... ::

The Artfull dodger (also Oliver Twist) - well, I am sure we have all come across the odd katoey on Sukhumvit determined to 'lift' your wallet - not sure what gender you would have to do the sizing in though (male or female cut!!) ::

King Richard - Crusading into BKK to rid the world of evil people and bring good to the people. Needs a AIS cellphone as part of the costume though... :clown:

Dont forget King Henry VIII ' th costume - This must be the only country I have been where I have not seen an authentic medieval England "Tourist expereince" - should be a huge demand and he only had 8 wifes.

Butterfly costume - Sorry had to be said this one..... :doah:

I'm sure many others can think of other costumes and then off course theres the one's for the kids.... :grinyes:

Cheers

From what I can tell, Thais don't really "do" masquerade parties. I've only heard of a few, and for the ones I've been to, many Thais chose not to attend because the concept was not appealing to them.

But if you are catering to Westerners, perhaps the idea will work. It will have to be cheap, though: for previous dress-up parties I've been able to get a tailor to do me up well and cheaply for relatively little money.

Our distuinguished board member "It's me Dave" is sort of our resident expert on musical theater etc... he might have the best guess here...But I would expand your market to schools, theater clubs, hotels with special events...create the market, take it to Thais.

Actually, I would think UniformGuy would keep you in business... :)

Archived