Nai....

OK. The most recent word to drive me crazy......NAI

It can mean "which?, or "where?", and is pronounced exactly the same (rising/short). It can also mean "in" (middle/short).

"Thee-nai" also means "where?".

(FOR "WHERE") -- So....first of all, when do you use "thee-nai", as opposed to just "nai"? "Bai nai"=where go?..... why don't you say "Bai thee-nai"? Or, "I'm not going anywhere"= "Mai bai nai".....why don't you say "mai bai thee-nai"? Conversly, why is "Where is your house?" not "Baan yoo nai", instead of "baan yoo thee-nai"?

("Nai"= "in"). "She stay in BKK" = "Khao yoo nai Krung Thep" Is this correct? What about just "Khao yoo (stay/live) Krung Thep", or "Khao pak Krung Thep"? Also, 'Somchai nai hawng naam"= "Somchai (is) in bathroom". Is this how you would say it? And "it's in the bottom of the barrel".....would you use "nai (for 'in'), or use 'pen' ('it be'- at the bottom), or even "yoo" (live/stay) (It "stay" (resides) at the bottom?

:: :: I bet you guys hate it when I post. :grinyes:

You know....let's just leave "which" for later. :angel: And save that for another thread, as it also brings up 'what kind' in the subject matter (baep nai, yang nai). "Nai" for "where" is enough for 1 thread. ::

HT

first to get some confusion out of the way

Nai (in, inside etc) is spelled ã¹, whereas Nai (where,which) is spelled ä˹. So 2 different words.

Nai (ä˹) meaning where is often used in combination with Tee (·Õè).

IMO the questions "Pai Nai" and "Pai Tee Nai" differ in that the latter is asking for a more specific answer.

When asking where someone is going the proper questions are:

Khun Ja Pai Nai = where are you going (to)?

Now the answer maybe: I'm going out (Pom/chan Ohk Pai Khang Nohk).

Asking then "Kuhn Pai Tee Nai", is asking the person to be more specific as to where he/she is going.

When referring to a place of living its better to use Tee instead of Nai

So "Pom yuu tee Krungthep" instead of "Pom yuu nai Krungthep". Pom yuu Krungthep is also correct.

Your 2 samples "Khao pak Krung Thep" and 'Somchai nai hawng naam" both miss the verb "Yuu".

Khao pak yuu Krungthep and Somchai yuu nai hong naam.

And by the way "Pak (¾Ñ), or Tee Pak (·Õè¾Ñ¡) refers to a temporary place of residence, for instance a hotel or a rental place.

So if you're asking a Thai "Bahn Khun Yuu Tee Nai" the answer may be "Chiang Mai", whereas if you ask the same person "Khun Pak Yuu Tee Nai" the answer may be "Krungthep".

Nai (ã¹), in within, inside is amongst other used like

Q.Where is the camera (Kong yuu tee Nai)?

A. Yuu nai din sak = Its in the drawer

It's not commonly used for "at" as in "at a certain location", in a sentence like "I live IN Bangkok".

but it is correct to say "Pom yuu nai hong" or "I'm in my room", although "Pom yuu Tee hong" is also correct. The first one however is more specific in that you mean that you are actually inside your room. The second one can also mean that you are somewhere around your room.

Says orandanodes:

first to get some confusion out of the way

Nai (in, inside etc) is spelled ã¹, whereas Nai (where,which) is spelled ä˹. So 2 different words.

Yes, two different words and two different pronunciations. Nai (inside) is a short, flat tone. It doesn't rise. Nai (where) is a short, rising tone.

Hi orandanodes,

>>>>>>Nai (in, inside etc) is spelled ã¹, whereas Nai (where,which) is spelled ä˹. So 2 different words.<<<<<

I see. In books, they are spelled the same....just different tones.

>>>>>Nai (ä˹) meaning where is often used in combination with Tee (·Õè).

IMO the questions "Pai Nai" and "Pai Tee Nai" differ in that the latter is asking for a more specific answer.<<<<<

Ahhh. Interesting!

>>>>>When asking where someone is going the proper questions are:

Khun Ja Pai Nai = where are you going (to)?

Now the answer maybe: I'm going out (Pom/chan Ohk Pai Khang Nohk).

Asking then "Kuhn Pai Tee Nai", is asking the person to be more specific as to where he/she is going.<<<<<

:: OK...stay with me here. "Khun Ja Pai Nai" = You will go where?".

"Kuhn Pai Tee Nai" = "You go where (more specificly)?

>>>>>Now the answer maybe: I'm going out (Pom/chan Ohk Pai Khang Nohk).<<<<

I thought "I'm going out was "Pai Thio" ('Go - (visit, 'party', go out))? What is "ohk"?... "Awk", as in depart?

>>>>When referring to a place of living its better to use Tee instead of Nai

So "Pom yuu tee Krungthep" instead of "Pom yuu nai Krungthep". Pom yuu Krungthep is also correct.<<<<

:o Oh shit.....I just figured it out! :doah::o "Thee" = "place". Bai nai= go where?. Bai thee nai= go place where? (more specific). "Where do you live" = Khun baan yuu thee nai", as opposed to "Khun baan yuu nai". "Your house stay place where?", as opposed to "Your house stay where?".

<<<<<So "Pom yuu tee Krungthep" instead of "Pom yuu nai Krungthep".<<<<

"I stay place Krungthep", as opposed to "I stay in Krungthep". Right?

thee nee= here = place this (this place)

I got it.... :beer:

All very clear now. Thanks.

HT

My problem was I was always looking under "tee", instead of "Thee". "Tee"= hit, fight punch. So you can understand my confussion (phom ting-tong). "Pak" I knew related to 'staying' in hotel, or guest house, but didn't know how far the word exstended.

>>>>>Nai (ã¹), in within, inside is amongst other used like

Q.Where is the camera (Kong yuu tee Nai)?

A. Yuu nai din sak = Its in the drawer

It's not commonly used for "at" as in "at a certain location", in a sentence like "I live IN Bangkok".

but it is correct to say "Pom yuu nai hong" or "I'm in my room", although "Pom yuu Tee hong" is also correct. The first one however is more specific in that you mean that you are actually inside your room. The second one can also mean that you are somewhere around your room.<<<<<

I'm taking this to mean "Nai=in" relates more to an enclosed area, while "Pom yuu Tee hong" would = 'I stay place (around) room', but not nessesarily. "phom yuu nai hong" could only mean you are directly enclosed within the room.

HT

Where do you live" = Khun baan yuu thee nai", as opposed to "Khun baan yuu nai".

You get it to some extend, but do try to get the words in the correct order

Baan (Khong) Khun, instead of Khun Baan.

I put in the word "Khong" meaning "belonging to" as this is often omitted.

Archived