Farang Guys Who Wear Buddhas

MooNoi

Is this a culturally acceptable thing to do if you are not a practicing Bhuddhist? I saw this guy out in Soi Cowboy last night who looked like a real tosser... shirt open to the waist, fat beer-gut hanging out, and two huge Buddhas around his neck. And pissed as a fart, to boot.

How do Thais see us farangs wearing Buddhas? Do they find it offensive?

Okay, I understand there is a CHANCE that this guy is a practicing Buddhist, but I highly doubt it. Didn't speak a work of Thai from what I heard when he was chatting to the girls.

I guess a lot of farangs maybe have them as a "good luck" charm or something, but should it really be used this way?

IF its okay for us to wear them, being non-Buddhists, there are I suppose lots of "guidelines" that we should know about...

The main ones that I know from talking to monks etc. in my travels are:

* When going to sleep at night, or when taking your Buddha off in your room, make sure your Buddha is above the level of your head.

* NEVER have the Buddha facing you when having sex.

* When going to the toilet or having a shower, (i.e. exposing the genitals), turn the Buddha around so it is on the back of your neck.

* Never touch your Buddha with your feet if for some reason you drop it on the floor.

I know there are others, but can't remember them here.

I'm still not sure about these guys who think they are "Mr Thailand" wearing Buddhas if they're not practising Buddhists themselves... I'm not Christian, and therefore do not wear a crucifix... I don't know of many people who would, so why a Buddha?

Any enlightenment from knowledgable members out there??? (Pardon the pun!) :beer:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not Christian, and therefore do not wear a crucifix... I don't know of many people who would

Actually, I've run across quite a few thai's who wear the crucifix who aren't Christian at all. I asked one and they said they liked the design. Could be the same with some farangs and buddha's; something different for uniqueness. Wouldn't surprise me if this guy was given or recommended the amulets as talismen from a BG. Thai's like it if you show respect to Buddha regardless of your religion. I had a BG who would point if I missed wai'ing at a spirit house as a gentle reminder. They aren't trying to convert you, but just see it as adding something positive.

Hi,

Two Buddhas? I have heard that you always need to have an odd number, but could be wrong in this.

I myself wear one, mainly because it was a gift from my wife. She strongly believes that this will help protect me. So to please her I wear the amulet. Would not bother otherwise.

As for Thais finding it offensive, no I do not think so. Unless of course you mistreat the amulet by doing the stuff you mentioned below.

Sanuk!

I myself wear one, mainly because it was a gift from my wife

No problem with that at all, and totally understand why you would wear it.

I, too, received a Buddha from a very good (male) friend last year who lives in Sukhothai. I travel a lot, and he tells me it is to protect me in my travels, and he had a monk bless it for me for these purposes. I carry it with me, but have never worn it, as I didn't want to cause offense.

I suppose, just thinking about it, as Buddhism is not a religion - instead a philosophy - it should be okay to wear one. A monk in Nakhon si Thammarat once told me that you can be Buddhist without giving up your religion that you practice - i.e. you can be a "Christian-Buddhist", "Jewish Buddhist" etc. etc. I have also read this somewhere.

The thing is, Thais are brought up on Buddhism, where as we are not, so they have a big head start and are kind of "born into it". We can read as much as we can on Buddhism, and talk to people and try and learn, but where do you judge the point that we have enough "knowledge" on the topic to be considered a practicing Buddhist???

(Sorry - diverging from the thread a bit, but the thought came to me as I was typing this).

Maybe Jasmine or someone can answer???

Fly P.

Hi KS,

have heard that you always need to have an odd number

Dont mean to be nitpicking here, but I always heard you should have a number that could be divided with 3. That also goes for munks at religous occasions, money presents at weddings etc. 300, 600, 900 bht or whatever.

And of course the best would be the number 9 as that is the result of 3 mulitplied with 3. That is also the reason for the nine-tiered umbrella hovering above the Buddha at Wat Phra Kaew.

I have seen farang wearing a chain with numerous buddhas on it like 10 or so. And frankly I think that look rather ridiculous, but that could just be me. :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I suppose, just thinking about it, as Buddhism is not a religion - instead a philosophy - it should be okay to wear one.

-------------------------------

That's the whole point. if that makes someone feeling good about it, why not, but Buddha has left the building about 2500 or so years ago, he can't do nothing more for us, farangs, thais, than what he passed on to his disciples at the time.

Hi,

"Dont mean to be nitpicking here, but I always heard you should have a number that could be divided with 3."

Was not aware that this applied to amulets as well. I think 1 is pretty much the 'norm' when it comes to amulets.

"And of course the best would be the number 9 as that is the result of 3 mulitplied with 3."

Yep. That's why we had 9 monks at our wedding, and the dowry ended in 9999.

"I have seen farang wearing a chain with numerous buddhas on it like 10 or so. And frankly I think that look rather ridiculous, but that could just be me."

Totally agree with you.

Sanuk!

Some Thai's wear a set of amulets instead of just one to capitalize on their powers. I've always seen odd numbers with 1/3/5 being common. As some amulets have protective powers and some don't, one never knows if and how much power each has. So someone may get a stringer of them to hedge their bets. The problem is if they have a close call and feel the amulets protected them, they can't be sure which saved them so they'll keep wearing all of them knowing at least one is good. It will now be a very prized set of amulets which will always be worn together.

the original spirit of giving amulets here was a sign of friendship, or given as a service done to a temple. and as buddhism is not an exclusive kind of religion i don't see any problem whatsoever with farang wearing buddhist amulets at all. i personally do find it rather tasteless to hang it on huge goldchains, but that is just me.

i have always believed in the protective power of certain things (not just since i came here) and have since childhood carried around one or the other thing.

Archived