Farang Guys Who Wear Buddhas

MooNoi

Hi,

I think the idea of "renting" the buddha image explains itself through the fact that one day when you die, or give it away to someone else, the buddha or monk will wander on to protect another person.

In that token, you only rent the amulet for a limited time, and thus such a "blessing" cannot be owned.

PC.

In a more practical view, the amulets we see bought and sold around various places can only be "rented", because they are a symbol og high respect and reverence. Therefore, one chooses the term renting in stead of buying.

...alle klarheiten beseitigt... ::

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pharcyde has it pretty well right. The Abbott of a Wat I used to go to explained it to me when I asked the same question about a statue of Buddha. His answer was that the impermanence of life means that you can not truly own the image. It will last long after you die. Therefore you are only renting it for the time you have left. Very Buddhist sentiment.

As for myself I was given an amulet on a really nice gold chain by my wife's cousin who owns a gold shop in Aran. I'm not at all a fan of jewelry but this is very well made and not huge like some. I've always been a fan of Rama V after having read several articles about him while living in Thailand. My wife had her sister find a very cool amulet with an image of him that is very old and swapped it for the Buddha image that came with the necklace. I wear it during the day and it has become quite a conversation starter from time to time. I always wear it inside my shirt but often a Thai will see the chain and ask. Thais certainly have an eagle eye for spotting Thai gold.

the range: from one baht to many millions of baht. famous for example is the original somdej - costs around 3 million baht (lots of fakes around as this is one of the most famous amulets).

what counts is not the material of the cover but the amulet itself.

best is actually not to buy an amulet but if it is given to you, by a friend, your wife/girlfriend or a monk. in the end, what counts more than the market value (completely inflated IMO) is the spirit under which it is given.

If I wanted to buy one for someone, where would you recommend I look?

-------------------------------

still same same as FlyW said. Most of these amulets are worth giving to a friend or kin because of the accumulated goodness in them, thru many owners, or knowing exactly where they come from and the occcasion of their making. For a farang to buy one to give as a gift, i think it will not be outrageous, but maybe a little bit inappropritae, and at least not making too much sense, unless of course you made the point of looking for a very potent, expensive one, but then again, the thai (if thai) may wonder a bit about where you got the idea, and how you handled the whole purchase and subsequent storing until you gave it..... IMO

I see, when they are given as gifts they have come from someone else.... ie individual (a) has an amulet which he has been given by (B) (a) can pass this on to © and with it will carry forward the accumulated goodness...

Is this correct....

Surely there is a place which sells ( starter ) amulets..... I fancied one to hang on my wall as well....

STH

I wear mine as a way to remember the people I got them from, and show respect to them as well as to Buddhism. Its the faith closest to my belief. 2 of my Buddhas are old, the other one was made by my friend when her mum died.

I also believe that they give good luck, if you treat and respect you Buddhas properly and conduct yourself in a proper way. I have seen that also. I am happy that my friends showed this faith and respect towards me, and I wear them always and with pride. I never flash then or show them openly, somehow that seems to be disrespect to me. Although thats a personal way on how you view stuff and my view.

Cheers!

Archived