Farang Guys Who Wear Buddhas

MooNoi

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several amulat markets around BKK. Some sell nice ones, but usually they are not as presented, and as Fly said, sold at inflated prices. If you go to Phantip Plaza, on the first(ground) floor, there are several places that sell nice ones, made by actual monks. AVOID the guy under the escalator who sells gold cases, high ripoff prices, and bad workmanship on his cases. If you go up stairs to the next floor, not the mezzanine, get off the escalator, and facing Pethburi road, in the right corner, near the toilet, is another guy who sells many nice ones as well, he specializes in ones mad by a Monk named Lom Pa Pan (SP). There are quiet a few shops in Phantip that sell them. The range for "starters" Is around 400bht and up, with out a gold or steel case. All mine are in gold cases, which I had down in Chinatown. I have about 6 of these, only one of which I bought. All but one are in gold cases. I have them to remind of the people who gave them to me, to remind me of the Wat or wherever they were made at/gotton from, and also to remind me to try and be a little compassionate to others...

Another 'pra' market is between Tha Prajan (Thammasart Uni) and Tha Chang (Grand Palace opposite is the Buddhist University.

Again go with a Thai friend who knows a bit about 'pra' and you trust.

Another way of renting an amulet is by going to a famous wat and getting one from there. they are usually pretty cheap (depending on the material) and if it is famous enough it carries it's own value.

Tip. Get anything related to the present King, few years from now (hopefully more) they will be greatly treasured.

>>>Another 'pra' market is between Tha Prajan (Thammasart Uni) and Tha Chang (Grand Palace opposite is the Buddhist University.<<<

10 or 12 years ago that area around wat mahatat was one of the most fascinating streetmarkets in all of asia. from the national museum up to tha chang it was one huge amulet and buddha market - nothing you could not find.

unfortunately now - under the rattanakosin "beautyfication" project what is left is not worth mentioning anymore - cheap fakes sold on the road - and the real expensive (and often fake) ones in the covered tha phajan market.

and the old sanam luang nightmarket...

another lovely market, the antique market under the golden mount has also been closed by the city government, and since one year the community living there since 200 years has to fight against eviction as the government decided it would be more beautyful to make another sterile park instead of restoring the houses (partly more than 100 years old) and keeping that tightknit community alive.

:dunno:

unfortunately now - under the rattanakosin "beautyfication" project

------------------------

Now i understand why i could not find it anymore. Was telling My GF I was sure it was there but maybe I forgot where it truly was, as, like you say, it was 12 years ago, i wandered around it. It was huge also inside the the temple, but maybe only one day of the week, then and now?

When it comes to Buddha type images, there are several excellent magazines that are published in Thailand that provide prices for various images.

I deal (sell) images and I have found that the prices quoted are generally 10 times higher in the magazines then the wholesale price.

As for new gold amulets, the price should be about 10 to 25 percent more then the 'adjusted' commodity price of gold. Thais use the baht system for weighing gold. 1 baht, I believe, is about 15.2 grams. Next, take into consideration the amount of gold in the piece, for example is it 23K gold? If it is 23K gold, then remember this means it is 23 parts gold out of 24 parts. Knowing the weight (in baht), the purity of the gold, and the commodity price of gold, you can calculate the 'cost' of making the amulet. Next mark the item up 10 to 25 percent (profit) and you should have calculated the selling price.

There is no problem in taking out of Thailand amulets that can be worn around the neck, but taking Buddha statutes out of the country can get a person in trouble unless they have the neccessary permits.

There are many types of Buddha statutes, but Thais seem only interested in permits for Thai Buddha statutes, and of the traditional Buddha (the Buddha of the present). For example, the Buddha of the future, is a Buddha that most Thais apparently are not familiar with, but I have found to be available at one wholesale store. Unfortunately, from a purchasing viewpoint, that wholesale store recognizes that Buddha only by what it is called in Thai.

As far as Falangs wearing amulets, I see it not to be a problem. Just look at the Thai tuk-tuk and taxi drivers that wear them with their shirts wide open as they show off their pictures of girls at various brothels to Falangs?

>>>I deal (sell) images and I have found that the prices quoted are generally 10 times higher in the magazines then the wholesale price.<<<

are you selling old or new images? i mean, old images are not really available wholesale other than in the secret warehouses along the borders with the smuggled ones, to which the normal person has no real access.

Archived