"Its Up To You"

Torneyboy

Hi Bahnwawk,

There indeed no V in thai language only W and nowhere is that more obvious when a thai attemps to say "Very Well". :)

I think that the expression that takes the price is "Same Same But Different"!! :o ::

Even saw a guest house in Phnom Phen with that name.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says orandanodes:

Although I'm no expert on the ways Thai speak English, the fact that they often say a word twice (to emphasise) stems IMO from the fact that the their is no plural in the Thai language.

Never heard anyone say "Ped Ped" though. Always Ped Mahk.

"It's up to you" has been around since 2000 BC (but please correct me if I'm off by a few 100 years).

2000BC ::

Just tried to get my wife to explaine plural...always good for a giggle.

But just comes up with numbers.

Pen one

Car two etc cant get her to understand what i mean about plural :doah:

Just to complicate matters "tam jai, laew tae khun" is often heard meaning of course "up to you"

Why is this phrase so popular? probably because it is so easy to say, without any complicated English pronounciation etc (just try the alternatives - 'as you wish', 'whatever your heart desires' etc)

The 'too/very' problem is not exclusive to BG's it's a universal Thai problem.

My interpretation of the difference between tam jai ?follow (your) heart? and laew tae ?up to (you)?:

You ask a girl if she would like to go get something to eat (you?re asking her to make a decision) she says ?up to you.?

Latter you say ?I wonder if I should go swimming or golfing tomorrow?? (you need to make a decision for yourself) she says ?ask yourself? tam jai, follow your heart.

Just my take on it

Says markle:

Just to complicate matters "tam jai, laew tae khun" is often heard meaning of course "up to you"

Why is this phrase so popular? probably because it is so easy to say, without any complicated English pronounciation etc (just try the alternatives - 'as you wish', 'whatever your heart desires' etc)

The 'too/very' problem is not exclusive to BG's it's a universal Thai problem.

So easy to say maybe or does it go to a time when tourists started visiting in numbers and it evolved from western influence in conversations? :dunno:

When used by a partner, I believe this phrase falls into the part of speech known as "dismissives". The current American equivalent is "Whatever".

Saying "Whatever" is one of the few things my students can do to make my blood boil. Only 2 or 3 have ever said it and none of them has said it more than once.

Says Khun_Kong:

When used by a partner, I believe this phrase falls into the part of speech known as "dismissives". The current American equivalent is "Whatever".

Saying "Whatever" is one of the few things my students can do to make my blood boil. Only 2 or 3 have ever said it and none of them has said it more than once.

So looks like it has come from western ifluences?

Whatever"" a very gig USA phrase. :dunno:

BTW glad i am not in your class ::

Archived