"Its Up To You"

Torneyboy

>And why to thai BG's incorrectly use the word "too" in every case where "very" would be correct, as in "love you too much"....Don't you guys ever correct them?

There are more qualified people than me to answer. My take is - they translate literally that "maak maak" that goes at the end.

My handle in Thai is something like "Kit Maak" or "Kit maak maak". That's where "too mutt" comes from.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says june11:

And why to thai BG's incorrectly use the word "too" in every case where "very" would be correct, as in "love you too much"....Don't you guys ever correct them?

Thank you :) I never thought about 'to much' meaning very much. Things make more sense now.

"And why to thai BG's incorrectly use the word "too" in every case where "very" would be correct"

Maybe because there is no letter "v" in the Thai language? Probably because they hear phrases like too hot, too spicy, too expensive and make the connection too=mahk where too=gern pai is correct.

"Don't you guys ever correct them?"

Now that you've brought it up I will make a personal mission of teaching the differences between the words "too" and "very" to any BG I hear using the words incorrectly. Coming up with examples should be interesting.

What I find goofier is when Thais say "same same". No clue how they came up with that one.

Says bahnawk:

What I find goofier is when Thais say "same same". No clue how they came up with that one.

But it certainly seem consistent with Thais speaking, doesn't it?

pet pet = very hot

maak maak = very much

ngo ngo plaa plaa = snake snake fish fish :)

Friendlyfiend, or anyone else, are you out there? Any possible explanation for "same same"?

(I probably should look in the archives. Surely, this must have been up as a topic before!?)

Any possible explanation for "same same"?

---------------------------------------

probably has to do with duplicating adjectives sometimes when plurality is in order. a lot= maakmaak. i would think this is folksy talk, though, not proper thai. Experts may tell us.

I think the thread will look good in language section.

With a GF ?up to you? usually means you make the decision. When my wife uses ?up to you? it?s usually in a more negative, dismissive way like if we disagree about something or I?m going to do something she thinks is stupid I will often get ?up to you.?

Recently I told my wife, not for the first time, that she was a pig about keeping the house tidy. She said she was too busy as she turned the TV on and laid on the floor for her afternoon nap. I told her I was going to look for a new young wife to move in and help out since she was obviously too busy to clean up, ?Up to you? translation: ?Go ahead and try you dumbshit, the ducks will be getting a new treat.?

?I think the thread will look good in language section.?

Shit, I was just attempting to get it a little more back on topic. Oh well, I could see it was on it?s way done here. :)

Although I'm no expert on the ways Thai speak English, the fact that they often say a word twice (to emphasise) stems IMO from the fact that the their is no plural in the Thai language.

Never heard anyone say "Ped Ped" though. Always Ped Mahk.

"It's up to you" has been around since 2000 BC (but please correct me if I'm off by a few 100 years).

<<<<Found it.. "Follow your heart" aka "Up to you" (?) : tam jai koon<<<

Agree that tam (follow) jai (heart 'figurativly') khun (you) makes more sense, but in practice, "laeo tae khun" is what is used in spoken language. "laeo" = (already, then, and), and "Tae = (but, only one kind). ???????

A lot of thai phrases make no sense to us Westerners. Just can't apply our thinking to their language.

Since "up to you" is an English phrase, only up until fairly recently have the general Thai population been in contact with English speaking people (recently in historic terms). Before the Viet Nam war, not many villages were exposed to English, which is why I don't believe the English term "up to you" has been an English spoken term of the general populace, for a great period of time.

I'd be curious to know when English was a required subject in schools in Thailand. That might put a reasonable time-marker on when the phrase could have been concievably introduced.

:dunno:

HT

Archived