"Get Out of Jail Card"

Straycat

Actually this would probably work. Both with the Thais and the farangs.

Most Thais that hassle we low life farangs are simply looking to make a quick baht. They certainly don't need to take the chance that you might actually know someone. They are pleanty of farang fish in the sea.

Now the farangs who really want to impress their friends will all buy one. Again they canprobably use it on the more regular Thai scammers. Problem may occur though as they are sitting in Jools (not Jules) or Cosmos and bump into some of the heavy hitters who do still frequent old haunts. Imagine telling this chap all about how you know this chap on the card in a very personal way, only to find out later you are talking to the guy's brother in law. :banghead:

I.ve had a couple of real "get out of jail cards" in my day and I have seen incredable reactions to even possessing certain business cards, but I'll try not to use any of these unless my life genuinely depends on it. A favor used is not a favor repaid. :bow:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, I was pulled over by the cops by going through a Pink Light ( ie I swear it was not red) and the cop pulled me over.

------------------------------

Hardly a case of going to jail.

It seems to me such a "card" should show its power WHEN one is actually arrested, not just talking to a cop, who can be talked out of fining you without a card (yes, not always, I know!). And definitely when one has done something wrong and is dragged in the police station. Now, that's what I call connection.

""Would you mind telling us why you 'deserve' better treatment than the rest of us?

Maybe you did not mean it this way, but that statement sounds *very* arrogant to me""

Indeed.

I don't carry any of such cards around, whoever my own ID is sufficient if necessary.

That said, if I'm stopped for a traffic offence that I've clearly committed, I pay the fine. Fair is fair. I do not try to bargain it down by offering the policeman anything.

If I'm stopped when not having committed any traffic offense I get into an argument (in Thai). Only show him my driving licence, but don't hand it to him. Ask him to show me proof and the law that states the supposed offence committed.

Only once did I have to show my ID to get me off. All the otehr times the policeman doesn't want to get into an agrument, lets me go, and probably starts looking for easier prey.

In no way will I ask for special treatment or contribute to police corruption.

Not disputing the power of a University ID badge, rather was surprised at WYD's ability to produce one.

-j-

PS: Your friend was in Uniform as she is a Thai Civil Servant (i.e. direct employee of the government) rather than a direct University employee. Thai "university staff" are about 50/50 (Government/direct uni).

>>>>anybody remember the wolfang ullrich saga?

Can you give us some more details, please? <<<<<

a very rich german man who lived in (and some said ruled) pattaya. appearantly a lot of his money came from embezzlement and other not so nice activities. he had several politicians and whatever in his pocket (or at least he thought so) and thought himself untouchable.

well, that all collapsed one day for him. he was imprisoned under a otherwise neglectible charge - evading tax here by importing a yacht, and subsequently kept in jail as germany investigated his activities as well and filed then for extradition. i think after two years in jail here he was extradited to germany.

thing is that for some reason all the great powerful people he wined and dined here turned all away from him. rumor was that it all started when he insulted some powerful policeman, and it just became a bit too hot for his "friends" to keep supporting him.

lesson from that is - know where and who you are. don't just imagine that you are safe because you know some powerful people - better make real friends who do help you when in in trouble. and it does not matter if those friends are powerful/influental or not.

most important is and always was - family. lets say your wifes family are some poor villagers - no influence, no power. but in case of trouble they will hide you in the village - even the most powerful person here will think twice before going into some hostile upcountry village to get to you. i am aware of several cases where people with murder charges here in bangkok escaped into their home villages, police is aware of their whereabouts, but prefers to wait until they come out rather than facing the danger and complications of hunting them down in the village.

the whole thing here in this country is extremely complicated - a network of responsibilties and obligations. just knowing some powerful people means jackshit unless you are part of their network. and unless working for them in an important position, or being married into such a family people may do small favours for you, but they won't risk their position for you. why should they?

how could you as an average farang anyhow play in those circles? those people have huge funds available, and carry tremendous power - you are like a fish out of water in such a scene.

nah, i feel a lot more comfortable with my wife's village clan - when i am in trouble and need some support we simply call them, and they will come without asking any question.

but remember - nothing is for free: responsibility and obligation - a two way road.

"It seems to me such a "card" should show its power WHEN one is actually arrested, not just talking to a cop, who can be talked out of fining you without a card (yes, not always, I know!). And definitely when one has done something wrong and is dragged in the police station. Now, that's what I call connection"

I was not really talking about going to Jail. I, like most people are law abiding resident and dont invision being in thatg sort of trouble. I will tell you that if something minor happens I know I will be backed up. I would prefer not going into to much detail. I am not saying that I am better than anyone, just there are certain rules to the game and luckily for me I made some very good freinds who are at the very very top of the pecking order. Remember the prof who killed his wife last year. He got off on account of who he is.. He was connected and knew how to play the game.

Thailand is an old boys society. I know of a few foreigners who are so well connected that they could walk into taxsins office and get an appointment with him.. I am sure that they are above the law. Yes I did say farang.

>>>Well if someone is hanging around in the lower echilon of society you may be in trouble. It is a society based on who you know and what relationship you have. I am 100% sure that I would be able to win in a case that I had done nothing wrong. I have seen it done a number of times and I have done it.<<<

if you have done nothing wrong, than this is hardly a case of get out of jail free. ;)

and i would not underestimate those "lower echelons" of society. lets take a very hypothetical case here. lets say, for example that i am not the nice guy fly, but some real arsehole, and would for some reason have a beef with you. your university card would not protect you at all from some lower echelon friends of mine. you could not do fuck all.

and, at the same time - if i would get into trouble with some lower echelons of the society - my own little document (definately better than a university ID by the way) would only protect me to a very little extend if i would get into trouble with some of the "lower echelons". what though does protect me to a much larger extend is the knowledge of those "lower echelons" that i am good friends with other "lower echelons".

it does not help much that you can go to someone after you are smashed to pieces.

if you analyse how the rich and powerful work and live here - they all have "lower echelons" in obligation to them for exactly those cases.

see, where would you go to if for example you have done something wrong, or if you have for some reason got into conflict with some underworld figure more powerful than the people you know? my guess would be that you would find out very fast that it just enough "who you know", but more the knowledge and experience how to behave during such a conflict.

being a farang here means jackshit, and knowing people only goes that far.

you have to understand that, even though it sounds contradictive given the huge differences of class, this whole place is connected by a vast network of obligations and responsibilities from top to bottom.

Archived