Learning to Read/Write - A Step Further?

Straycat

Not too long ago I took the time thru self study to learn reading and writing Thai. I'm not very good at it -- but I do have a fair grip on the basics. I can read short stuff without too much trouble but writing is harder.

To my surprise I found learning the basics quite easy. I bought two children posters, one with the consonants and one with the vocals. To sharpen my tone and vocals awareness I've used Courage Software. For further practice of reading and writing I have used some children learning materials.

So far so good. I find it to be lots of fun and that helps of course. I won't touch transliterations again as it's truly worthless.

Now, I want to take it a step further and I'm turning to you fellow board members. ;)

I'm looking for more suggestions on suitable materials, proposed self-study plans, general advice etc. I'm positive many of you have gone thru the same thing so input from you would be highly appreciated.

Also I obviously need a good dictionary. I have one in my native language but I'd like to get a good Thai-English, English-Thai dictionary as well. -- Is any particular dictionary recommended?

A long ass post, I know. Hopefully, it won't scare you to give some input or just a general view concerning written Thai.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Bought "Hansel and Grettel" in Thai last year (much to the surprise and pleasure of the salesgirls (in Nakhon Sawan) :) ). Read it a bit, but got bored checking so many words.

Having said that, my Thai is good enough to decypher most menus and street signs. Nowhere near good enough to read a newspaper though. My problem is that I am lazy :)

Sanuk!

Yeah, Hi Straycat.. (not addressed to TorneyBoy but couldn't be bothered backclicking) ....

The New Model Thai - English Dictionary by So Sethaputra was the first comprehensive Thai English dictionary and the revised version is the best one to have now (well at least my tutors at Chula tell me that..).. If you can though, make sure you get the 'library edition'.. It is split into two giant books and is for sale for around 1000 baht. Not all shops stock it but I know you can get it at the Chula Book Shop just behind Siam Square there on that little access road that runs parallel to the back of the uni... The reason why you should get this version is that each word has about 10 or so example sentences of usage that the 'shelf' edition doesn't have. A good book.. Another good book is the 'Thai for Advanced Readers' .. maybe too advanced for you now? Don't know.. but take a look and decide for yourself. The good thing about it is that there is a pretty good translation of the articles in English following it, vocab lists and also a cassette that will help you hear the flow and sound of it all..

I don't know what else to recommend. I started off from reading govt. school Thai language texts for grade's one through to grade six... I did this over some years.. I'm now up to reading newspapers.. not by choice mind you, I'd much rather read the Bangkok Post, but it's part of my studies..

Good luck...

Just an afterthought.. I think I will add that I think it's important to do it progressively suited to your level.. Don't try something that's too hard and be discouraged or have to be running for your dictionary all the time it will perhaps make it frustrating and kill the enjoyment of it... Again look in this Chula book shop, or any book shop for that matter.. there are tons of childrens books.. I'm actually currently reading the French book by Christian Depierre - 'The Little Prince' (Le Petit Prince) or in Thai à¨éÒªÒ¹éà- Jao Chai Noi.. Although I'm still somewhat familiar with the story I'm still finding it a challenge to grasp it all.. Though 60 pages into it already I'm having fun trying..

Cheers,

FF.

Well done 'Cat.

Reading and writing are still my weakest skills and no sign of improving anytime soon. My biggest obstacle is frustration with my own limitations. I read really slowly so I lose concentration, and I write really clumsily so I'm embarassed to show someone my work (It looks like an infant's writing).

So I encourage you to keep at it and do better than I have done.

While an Eng-Thai/Thai-Eng Dictionary is worthwhile also grab a Thai-Thai dictionary. you'll be surprised how useful it can be.

There is a book shop round the coner from MBK which sells all the books for Thai schools kids. Has all the levels up to level 6 (2 books per level) and they are about 60 baht each.

There is a new thai thesaurus out, Hardback in green cover and it is called ¤Åѧ¤Ó but it's a bugger to use and probably only for very advanced users only. There is no english in it at all.

Good luck with your studies!

Archived