Learning to Read/Write - A Step Further?

Straycat

(firstly to Stray Cat.. no, he means a standard Thai dictionary for Thai people.. all in Thai)..

Markle,

Yes a good idea, I have a few Thai-Thai dictionaries.. and use them daily. At uni we are mostly required to try and explain concepts and give definitions in Thai. It helps put you in the mindset and stops you from referring to everything with Western concepts and meanings.

A good CD rom one of thes is the Thai Software dictionary Version 4.0. (also availiable at Chula 180 baht) It has thousands of sound files too. So you can hover the mouse over your new word and it will read it to you in a sweet feminine voice. Not really recommended for beginners, but wouldn't hurt all the same..

To anyone,

Again, I think it's important not to bite off more than you can chew and work at a level that's suited to your abilities. Eventually if you're taking the right steps things will start falling into place. It's a long long slow process.. this has to be understood. Also, I guess different people have different abilities in grasping and understanding a language. Personally I'm quite slow at it, and find myself having to work much harder than others, but it's all about doing it the right way to speed up the process.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says friendlyfiend:

I think it's important not to bite off more than you can chew and work at a level that's suited to your abilities.

Hi ff,

Quite right. My problem with children's books is the content - woodland creatures and life in the classroom for a 9 year old.

One thing I stumbled on recently that is about the same level as Thai for Advanced Learners is "Guide of Bangkok". Not a literary masterpiece but the Thai is as undemanding as the English - and at least it has grown up subject matter. If anyone has not heard of this it is a free newspaper/entertainment guide, comes out monthly, available at BTS stations, outside The Londoner, elsewhere no doubt. Half in English, half in Thai - not the same articles though.

The real newspapers are notoriously difficult because they use so much slang and abbreviations. The Bangkok Post has a section every Tuesday in Learning Post on Thai language that includes a bit on newspapers.

Inevitably it all takes time and effort.

Khwai

If it's the one I think you're talking about it is past the National stadium it's a store run by the Kurusapa (Teachers Association) There is also one on Ratchdamneorn near the Democracy Monument and in Ekamai next to the bus station.

What I mean by Thai-Thai dictionary is just that- a book that explains Thai words in Thai usually simplified and with all possible meanings. called ¾¨¹Ò¹Ø¡Ãà (patchana-nukrom)

A thesaurus simply gives you a list of synonyms but it it's hard to know which ones to use in different contexts.

I find the look toong karaoke dvd`s quite a fun way of brushing up the Thai reading-the`re only around 100 bt. and generally have 7-8 songs with subtitles in Thai.Can be difficult sometimes with many slang phrases and lao words ,but if you can read the words at the same speed as the song,you know your doing fairly well....however,concentating can be difficult as mostly they feature semi naked TG stunners... ::...keeping your mind focused on the words and not their tits is not easy... :p :onfire:

Many years back a black book going around many Thai bookstalls called Fundamentals Of Thai Language was a popular choice for learning written Thai. I still have my copy, but I don't think they sell them anymore. It helped me back then (more so than Linguaphone), though might be considered dated now. You can download the entire book for free at

http://www.geocities.com/funthai/

Cheers,

Hi Chico,

Take it one lesson at a time.

I found the only hard part was to memorize the vocabulary, the order of the words, understand the conversation, the language and cultural notes, the excercises and.. and...and of course the :censored: tones. ::

So you will probably have no time left for this board for a while :neener:

cheers

Hua Nguu

The hard part IMO is remembering the words. From what I have done so far the laungauge constructs are quiet simple.

But because its not based upon Roman script it is pretty difficult to remember. I suppose its just a case of sticking with it. Maybe I am being a little unpatient.

I find I can understand everything when I have the thai text book in front of me but when I just listen and respond its much harder. ::

Archived