"One Night in Bangkok" song...illegal?

Stickman

The song is from the musical "Chess", written bei Benny Anderssson, Björn Ulvaeus (both from the swedish former popband ABBA) and Tim Rice. The story is about East meets West by the two famous chessplayers Anatoly Sergievsky (USSR) and Frederik Trumper (USA). The musical is a hit in London since 1986.

"One night in Bangkok" can be found on any peer-to-peer program. Try Bearshare, Gnutella or Limewire.

Good luck :beer:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAT'S it! "Chess"! For some reason, I can never remember this. It's not the first time I guessed "Miss Saigon" when I knew in the back of my mind it's "Chess."

Stick,

I have heard the same, that the song is illegal to play at public venues in Thailand. I heard this long ago and have since forgotten the source. However, I too have heard it many times at many venues. As with all laws in Thailand, something is only illegal if you get caught or don't have tea money.

"I can feel an angel sliding up to me ..."

Who can't relate to those lyrics!!

Why was ''Relax" banned ?

'Relax' was never banned in the UK - it achieved notoriety (and the number 1 chart position) because Radio One DJ Mike Read took exception to the lyrics and refused to play it on his morning radio show. The track was subsequently removed from the Radio One, and some other BBC Radio stations, playlists.

I am not aware if 'One Night in Bangkok' is banned in Thailand, but I doubt it. I guess the rumour stems from the fact that the Thai government are very sensitive to the way they are perceived in the 'outside' world. Apparently the Thai Royal Family took great exception to the way they were portrayed in the historically inaccurate film 'The King and I' and the film was (or maybe still is?) banned - leading to censorship of a number of western products (and the internet).

Funny, I ran across this on a friend's karaoke machine the other day, brought back distant memories, gave it my best only to finish blushing--and not entirely because I was off-key.

I've always heard it in the bars but when it came out in '86 it could be heard EVERYWHERE in LOS. The fact that the following year was 'Visit Thailand Year', which marked an unending explosion of tourists, made me believe it was a TAT ploy to adopt a theme song and get the brand name out, part of a no publicity is bad publicity strategy.

The fact that now it is discouraged from being played is further evidence that the Thais, sigh, are not as easily flattered. It used to be so easy back then, hardly the "ultimate test in cerebral fitness."

Archived