"One Night in Bangkok" song...illegal?

Stickman

I saw Chess in London at the Prince Edward Theatre back in November 1986 - with the original cast of the show, Elaine Paige, Tommy Koerberg and Murray Head.

Still remember the excitement during "One Night In Bangkok". The stage was lit up with neonlights; recall seeing the signs 'TOPLESS' and 'PATPONG', and with drag queens(!) in bikinis dancing and milling around the stage :D

Cheers!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick, I was here when the song was popular -- and it was never actually made illegal. There were some attempts by certain politicians to have it made illegal, but more sensible folks decided that would just attract more attention to it. You used to hear it on the radio back then, while it was played for a long time in the bars. But like all pop songs, it soon went out of popularity.

p.s. The musical it's from sucked. That one song is the only thing memorable about it. Bangkok comes up in the musical when they are discusses possible sites for an international chess tournament!

Something about people suddenly bursting into song for no reason...

LOl, but happens everytime a Thai sees a karaoke monitor. :) I knew a BG who would just start singing for no reason. It made me think back to the sound of music and it seemed appropriate to borrow the line "it's nice to have music in the house again".

Bearshare was named, you can try Limewire or Gnutella too.

Download one of these programs, go to search and find any MP3- or wave-file from any musik you want - for free.

There is no easier way to get the music you like :beer:

Hi Thalenoi,

it is a little bit off topic what I want to say and ask.

Your little picture shows my favorite beach! I detected this beautiful beach in Januar 1996 I think, and I fall in love with the Hat Tung Wualaen at once.

I took the song thaeo from Chumpon city to the beach.

There I found a bungalow, which is managed by a Thai family. It is called Seabeach Bungalow. I return to this place every year. For me it is a little paradise and a place where I can recover. Swimming in the sea and walking along the beach is my favorite occupation during the day.

I get envy. You are in Chumpon and I have to work here in farlang land.

Many greetings to you in Chumpon.

Nasiadai alias Bakwahn alias Charly

Hamburg, Germany

Archived