Komodo

gobbledonk

Have any of you ever been to one of the 3 islands off Bali which still have 'wild' Komodo dragons ? I saw a doco on it a while ago, but I admit that it seemed pretty dangerous to go looking for them in the wild. I will be in Jakarta at Xmas, and thought I may as well see the last of the dinosaurs in the flesh - not everyone's idea of 'Sanuk', admittedly, but all part of life's rich tapestry :)

Big Lizards

Guest lazyphil

I've seen a few docus (David Attenborough the best :beer:)I liked the way they infect a buffalo with a bite and follow it till it croaks :: Yes, I'd love to go to Komodo. A place of real legends!

Yeah, I visited these adorable puppies in Banu Nggulung back in the day when they were still provided to some fresh goat for the amusement of the visiting ogglers. Quite a show they would put up, too. The islands of Nusa Tenggara are still somewhat rugged and getting around can be a little taunting... But overal, very much worth it, in my opinion. :up:

If you are going to jakarta you can just go to the Thousand Island (pulau seribu) We usually got to Pulau Septic... oops I mean septic. Its about 3 hrs out from jakarta so the waters clear and the snorkeling is pretty good. They have monitor lizard that hang out under the cabins. Nothing huge maybe the biggest is 2 21/2 meters. So kids should be safe except new borns maybe.

The zew does have a primate house that looked pretty kewl under construction. Its been open for probably a year now so its not rundown yet. The whole operation is probably desperate in need of money and competant staff. Someone in our kampung had been keeping two orangutans and they were finally rather publically removed. They weren't healthy but they were getting lots of attention. They were in the zoo for rehabilitation and they died, both of them. My guess it was anxiety. They were just to used to the city.

Hi,

I have been to see the Komodo Dragons in 99. From Bali took the plane to Labuhan Bajo on Flores which is quite easy and you get some great views of Sumbawa Island and remote beaches as the plane doesn't fly very high.

There you get offered a lot of packages like three days on the boat with visit to Komodo and snorkeling in different places, you can take the ferry that drops you off at Komodo if you wanna save some rupiah. I took with other people a one day trip to Rinca which is the neighbouring island to Komodo and has dragons as well. From the boat you walk a few meters to a ranger station where you'll get a guide and pay the fee for the national park. Several guides and small groups of four - five persons per guide. They take you around on the Island for some two hours and you see more than only the dragons. Water buffaloes (very healthy) some birds, monkeys. They told us there is also deer on the island but didn't see any. Talking to a friend later I got the impression that Rinca is actually better sightseeing than Komodo. On the way back to Labuhan Bajo we stopped at a small island for snorkeling.

All in all very good, but if it's worth to go there only for the dragons? I doubt it. Went to the Keli Mutu (old volcano with three crater lakes in differnet colours, see the 5000 Rp bill) by bus and flew back from Maumere, again with great views. Our jockey took the time to circle around Keli Mutu.

Everything more a backpacker thing than 'normal' tourist attraction. Food and drink is cheap, transportation cheap and basic.

A side note about the plane. It was a two-engine turbo-prop for around 60 passengers. Some of my countrymen complained about the oil streaks and leaks on the engine cover. Asked if it is safe. Morons! As long as there is oil leaking from the engine it says they still put oil in the engine so it is perfectly safe :)

Here's a link I found with a little info

Flores

Thanks Carlton - the description of the dragons' habitat doesnt sound terribly inviting, and certainly not the image we have of lush tropical jungle etc. I guess you were a little luckier on Rinca - I suspect that water buffalo need a steady water supply, and things like trees to survive.

Adik, your post is highly unusual for a man of your literary bent - were you drinking when you put that together ? :grinyes: I know I'm an old windbag, but zew ..... wtf ????

Artiew,

I liked the tour of Rinca, still like to look at the pics from then. Both Rinca and Komodo are not your typical green green with flowers but lots of dried grass and the occasional tree. There was also some valley where there is more water available in rainy season and there you'll find more trees, a little green and in a hole where some water lasted a little longer there were some buffaloes. Nearby a dragon on the ground, waiting for the buffaloes to come out of the mud so the dragon can bite the buffalo in the leg and run. From the bacteria in the dragons saliva and the unhealthy mudhole the buffalo will die within some days (rangers tale).

One incident at the ranger station: a big dragon wanted to fight some even bigger one and eventually had to run away. Would have been a nice pics, but they ran in my direction, so I hide behind the ranger who was armed with a club.

If you pm me your email I'll send you a few pics.

carlton

Archived