Komodo

gobbledonk

I saw a bloody big Goanna swimming across the lake in Lumpini Park a few months ago...does that count? I thought it was a crocodille until it launched itself onto the bank chasing ducks. Scared the shit out of the picknicers of which i was one. ::

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I didn't sound negative about Komodo,

it was a real highlight to see the dragons. I recommend to go, but not for the dragons alone.

Artiew, if girls are not the main motivation to go on holidays give yourself a break from Jakarta and see some other places.

Take the train to Yogja and see Borobudur and Prambanan, the botanical garden in Bogor is not far from Jakarta and makes for a nice walk. Can do that as a daytrip. If you like beaches you might take your belle de jour to Anyer ot Carita. Jakartans go there for the weekend so during the week you'll have it to yourself (and the rooms are cheaper). Spend a few days there, very relaxed and you can see Krakatau from the beach.

How many month you said you'll stay?

Thanks Carlton.

Yes, regrettably, I dont have 'months' to see all the attractions that Indonesia has to offer - only 10 days. I will fly to Bali, primarily to see the bombsite - I just feel that I should make the effort, given the enormity of the tragedy, for both Westerners and Indonesians alike.

I also had plans to make my way to Uluwatu and some of the other breaks that I dreamt of in my youth, but there is not guarantee that these places would even have waves at that time of the year - even Bali has flat spells. Other than my early flirtation with surfing, I've never really been a 'beach person' - I prefer the mountains :)

Artiew,

if you are a mountains man then a visit to Gunung Bromo in the Tengger-Bromo national park will be your choice. It's in east Java and combined with a tour to Borobudur, Prambanan and Yogja in central Java you cover half of the tourist trail. May spent the weekend in Jakarta, leave monday morning and be back to Jakarta friday evening (implies you take the plane to/from Yogja and Surabaya).

These activities include some walking, but not too much. If you tag a girl along make sure she's got proper shoes for walking and some clothes to change. Gunung Bromo is some 2000 meters up so I saw the indonesians wearing jackets while I was sweating in my t-shirt. Last night I showed my pics from that place to my neighbour and she admitted its a very nice place. See the link below, that's the first link google choked up and it's in english, too.

See Bromo pics here

Archived