Thai women vs Western women?

Walk into a pub with a western woman and she’ll take an age to decide whether she wants a Bacardi and Coke, a gin and orange or a pint of headfucker with a straw. A Thai girl will have to undergo Chinese water torture to be persuaded to have an alcoholic drink.

A Thai girl will scrutinize a restaurant bill at great length to make sure you’re not getting ripped off. A western woman won’t bother – because come-what-may – you’re gonna be paying the bloody thing!

A Thai woman will become incredibly self-conscious if men start looking at her in a pub. A western woman will think there’s something wrong if men don’t look.

During a candlelit dinner for two, a Thai girl will talk about her sister’s graduation plans and her grandmother’s illness. A western woman will ask you if 40 pairs of shoes is really enough and why do you insist on going to the match tomorrow with that mate of yours that she can’t stand.

With a straight Thai girl, you wonder if tonight will be the night that you get to hold her hand. As opposed to a western woman, where maybe tonight’s the night you get to do it with the lights on. It is the third date after all.

A farang woman will tell you that you’re losing weight, putting on weight, look tired, look bored. She’ll tell you that that spot wants squeezing. A Thai woman will accept you for what you are.

With western women, as the relationship develops, so your insecurity increases. Does she still call old boyfriends? What if a richer guy comes along? Younger? Funnier?. With a Thai woman, as long as you treat her as an equal, why should she ever stray?

Dating a western girl, you are forced into making tedious small talk with her family members, which includes showing interest in little brother Jimmy’s collection of toy soldiers. You don’t even have to visit a Thai girl’s family

Call your Thai girlfriend at her office and you can sense genuine happiness in her voice. Call a western girl at work and her first question is, “What’s happened?”

Offer to take a Thai girl to a seafood restaurant – she’ll go. A night at the pictures – she’ll go. A walk around the department store while you look for socks – she’ll go. As long as she’s with you – she’ll go quite happily. Have you ever been in one of those relationships with a western woman where the only thing that puts a smile on her face is a week’s skiing in St Moritz or a fortnight on a Greek island, where she can shop for shoes all day.

Hey Phil, we have met on another board. Anyway, this topic should generate quite the response. I found it interesting that you did not even talk about body shape and what really tends to make Thai ladies so appealing--THE SMILE. Or perhaps you were just assuming that these two factors were so bloody obvious to us farang males that there were not even worth mentioning.

Though your generalizations are true in most cases, what kind of "Thai woman" are you referring to? The rich, nice Thai ladies who buy expensive things for their farang boyfriends or bg? I have interpreted your meaning as the former rather than the latter. Clarification might be in order.

Perhaps one could add to what you have already written...

Though Thai women tend to buy a lot of clothes, they are usually able to wear them for years and years. Western women tend to buy new wardrobes year after year because they tend to--let's just say--grow out of their former fashion purchases. [Translation of Western woman code "It is out of style" = "My ass can't fit into it anymore."]

Another thing I really appreciate about Thai women is they feel they don't have to talk all the time whereas Farang women tend to think that silence is something that needs to be filled with blah, blah, blah about this, that, the other thing, somebody else' thing, the next door neighbour's things, the family's things, etc.

When Thais ask me why I prefer Thai women above farang women I reply: "Farang women talk too much and they want to be the front legs." This usually gets a lot of laughs from the Thais who believe--perhaps rightly--that Thai women are the best women in the world.

Phil I enjoyed that post, I got the feeling that

you had spent some time pondering the question

that has been asked many times " what do we see in Thai women".

I am curious were you a member of this board when the posting I am about to quote below was posted originally ? I'm not even sure who had posted it anymore, only that I was amused enough to have saved it. Perhaps it's even your own post?

Anyways maybe youll chuckle.

~repost~

"Sort of off topic, but every time I fly to LOS I take a thick classic book to while away the hours at 30,000 feet. For students of the rise of falang feminazi beast, here's something I found last time in "Basil", published by Wilkie Collins in 1852 (Oxford University Press reprint, 1999, in the Oxford World Classic series:

"We live in an age when too many women appear to be ambitious of morally unsexing themselves before society, aping the language and the manners of men - especially in reference to that modern dandyism of demeanour, which aims at repressing all betrayal of warmth of feeling; which abstains from displaying any enthusiasm on any subject whatever; which, in short, labours to make the fashionable imperturbability of the face the faithful reflection of the fashionable imperturbability of the mind. Women of this exclusively modern order like to use slang expressions in their conversation; assume a bastard masculine abruptness in their manners; affect to ridicule those outward developments of feeling which pass under the general appellation of "sentiment." Nothing impresses, agitates, amuses, or delights them in a hearty, natural womanly way. Sympathy looks ironical, if they ever show it: love seems to be an affair of calculation, or mockery, or contemptuous sufferance, if they ever feel it"

Dedicated to those like me who suffered, only to discover the Thai way......... "

quote:

Though your generalizations are true in most cases, what kind of "Thai woman" are you referring to? The rich, nice Thai ladies who buy expensive things for their farang boyfriends or bg? I have interpreted your meaning as the former rather than the latter. Clarification might be in order.

Yes KK, I'm referring to the former but I'm not sure about the 'rich ones who buy expensive things for their boyfriends' part LOL

Disagree with some of what you are saying. The thai spectrum of women is so big that you are just generalizing some of them in my opinion.

"Dating a western girl, you are forced into making tedious small talk with her family members"

The upper class family needs far more attention then any farang family ever did. Not only do you have to play with the little brother you have to wai the grandmother everytime you turn around and she returns the wai so friggen low that it will piss you off

"A farang woman will tell you that you?re losing weight, putting on weight, look tired, look bored."

How many times has a big guy or tall guy walked into a bar and all you hear is "oo-an", "soong mak" etc. Thais love just as much talking about appearances

Althought I love my thai girlfriend dearly there are some things I miss about western women. Like:

1. having a deep discussion on topics like abortion, world politics, etc.

2. Also miss common cultural nuances with western g/f. like things everyone did growing up. music, cartoons, books etc. Jokes are so cultural there would be times I would like to try and get a laugh out of my girlfriend but realize that a non-canadian g/f would never understand.

3.a girl who is sexually experienced and not worried about what someone will think if you hold their hand in public.

4. Someone who will tell you that they want something instead of "greng-jai"ing you

5. A women who will get mad and show her true feelings instead of just crying in the corner for 2 hours.

6. Someone who is decisive and will take action instead of being greng jai

7. a women who does not know the meaning of "face"-

8. etc.

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: whosyourdaddy ]

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Althought I love my thai girlfriend dearly there are some things I miss about western women.

Funny, ya know? There's not one single thing I miss about western women. Not one.

The point about cultural nuance things is an interesting one. This may sound shallow, but I get a lot of pleasure watching UBC Series, DVDs, etc, with my TW (Thai wife). I get to explain those cultural jokes, nuances, etc, to her. She does likewise for me when the shoe is on the other foot. In this way, we are constantly learning from each other and growing together. Kinda turns what some might consider a negative, into a positive.

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

Funny world, huh?

db

Yes, funny indeed. In all 3 lists, Bangkok Phil's, Whosyourdaddy's, and db's, I found some things that describe my Thai wife, and my farang ex-wife, perfectly. And some things that were completely contrary for both.

I don't think one can categorize any person, certainly not any woman. Certainly they all share some common characteristics with whatever category may define their background - Thai/farang, bg/non-bg, rich Chinese-Thai/poor Isaan peasant - but they all inevitably have characteristics that set them apart from whatever group you try to fit them into.

Regards, JEff

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: JEff ]

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: JEff ]

Archived