Thai women who abandon their children and...

soongmak

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

We touched into this subject in class recently, about culture and communication.

I think the teacher mentioned rural parts of Portugal, but I?m not sure. At any rate it was an European country. He said that while in Norway, the worst thing that could happen to anyone would be loosing custody of your child, and that it was not allowed not to love your child above everything else.

In ?Portugal, and I know I will be corrected on that one ;) ; however it was fully allowed not to get along with your child, and leave it?s future to someone else.

His example was a father that did not get along with his son. The son did not listen to the father, and the father consciously yelled at the son.

The first thing that would happen was that the community would say to the father that he was to hard on the son. On the pub, at the grocery store, pretty much everywhere he hung out. If things did not get better, a relative like an aunt would show up and say, listen this situation is not good. You son will move in with me.

That is a perfectly acceptable solution, and you will not be scorned by others for letting your kid go. In fact the opposite as treating your kid badly got you scorn, but fixing the problem would not.

In some cultures your self-worth and your position in society does not rest on having your kid with you, instead you can search out the best solution for your kid.

Here you got to love your child, you got to love your children equally, not matter who they are or what they do. Is that natural?

Somtimes we should be a little less etnosentric.

As I have mentioned a few times here, I was adopted a few days after my birth, no idwea who my real parents are (the adopted ones ain't so hot...)don't really care, unless they have money or I need an organ transplant...

Anyway, I mentioned this to my dear friend "Kon Kean girl" who got very angry at the thought of people just giving up their kids her thoughts went something like this "...my father mother have 10 kids, work hard for us, never give us away stay together family, never give away, work hard for us..."

Af16,

It's not uncommon to see kids in Portugal growing up with other family members elsewhere in the country. I'm Portuguese and have seen/heard this happen to others; sending kids/teenagers to grandma in the North or uncle in the South.

But the local authorities are ususally never informed about this. Why should they? Not worth the hassle. They consider it as a 'vacation' with the family without losing responsibility over their kid.

Archived