chinese medicine, is it all nonsense?

thai3

acupuncture

-----------------------------

I was told 3 years ago, that there are very few acupuncture clinics in LOS. Now, i am sure that in Chinatown, it will be found, but in terms of a clinic that would be effectively licensed and proposing modernly serviced acupuncture (100% sure clean needles, electrically powered, clean environment), is that true?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese medicine, including acupuncture, is a complete and total Sham! With a capital S. Anyone who pursues that rubbish deserves the bad things that WILL result. Every so-called "study" that has purportedly shown some benefit has been linked in some way to the Chinese government or Chinese research institutes, either through funding, or information, always some link. Truly independent studies debunk it and expose it for the pure rubbish it is.

Very harsh words and I have to disagree.

First: I know people (including myself ::) who were healed by Chinese medicine.

Second, concerning acupuncture. There is a very big nation wide study in Germany German acupuncture trials (and in no way connected to any Chinese organization) about acupuncture with ca. 40.000 patients and first results shows that ca. 89 % of the patients had a relief of their illness. It seems that acupuncture works very well with chronically diseases and is especially able to reduce pain.

Even, if some methods do not work well (same same with Western medicine) I am wondering about your complete rejection Asian methods of healing. ::

Any personal or professional issues with this?

Well I am not convinced either way. One the one hand the ointment they gave me for skin rash seems to have worked, although it could be argued it might have cleared up on it's own. I certainly would not do what a guy did as reported on sticks site. A guy in Bkk got treated by chinese medicene for a neck tumor, by the time he got to a hospital it was too late.-peter

>>>Every so-called "study" that has purportedly shown some benefit has been linked in some way to the Chinese government or Chinese research institutes, either through funding, or information, always some link. <<<

and what's the problem with that?

chinese are the most advanced in acupuncture, so obviously the will have the most advanced studies on it.

>>>Chinese medicine, including acupuncture, is a complete and total Sham!<<<

that sounds like a very qualified argument. i think i will use that line, if you don't mind, on occasions in which i want to impress my friends with my intelligence.

well, as several posters have already said - there are things for which western medicine is way superior, and others in which eastern medicine is.

i have a friend who is the head of a hospital in bombay - she a clear western style doctor. she says that when she can't help patients for some reason or the other she sends them to the ayurvedic doctors - and often with very surprising results.

ayurveda for example has cures for several deseases western mdicine has no cure yet. an old friend of my father has had that desease where white blotches on the skin appear, and grow until the whole body turns white. he travelled all over the world to some of the best hospitals - none could help him. back in india he then went to an ayurvedic clinic and they not only stopped the growth - it even receded so that today you cannot see any white spot on his skin anymore.

he will have though keep a very strict regimen of a vegetarian diet, regular yogic exercises and some herbal medicine for the rest of his life.

i myself had a broken rib once healed by an old cambodian monk (no proper hospital was anywhere around) - i was in agony for days - he just blew on it, chanted some words and the next day i had no pain. an x-ray afterwards, when i came back to civilisation showed no sign of it even though i felt that rib moving around and poking out when i made the wrong movement before i met that monk.

and old uncle of mine was a healer - he was a strange recluse, lived on a far off farm, and could heal by touch. many times when i was a kid he healed me and my brother from fevers within 30 mins or so.

I think your posting is a good example of the problem western doctors have with alternative medicine-so much of the proof is anecdotal. You say you had a displaced rib fracture-"felt the rib moving around and poking out"-that was healed by a monk's breath and chant. No x-ray was taken beforehand to back-up your claim of a fracture, but even harder to believe is that a later x-ray showed no evidence of a fracture. It poses kind of a dilemma: either you met God walking around in monk's clothing or you didn't have a displaced fracture to begin with.

I find it interesting that you try to validate ayurveda by saying a western style doctor sends patients to ayurvedic doctors when she can't help them. If ayurveda is so good, why doesn't she use it first?

If I break my leg and have a choice between hobbling over to a hospital or over to your monk, I think I will take my chances on the hospital.

Archived