Sao Paulo

Prosal

quote Prosal: Recife is a shithole. The city is ugly, desesperate and violent, the beach (Boa Viagem) is really bad and the standard of the women in Recife must be the lowest in Brasil. I personnaly don't see ANY reason to go to Recife.

Yes, I have been to Recife 2 times before, it is not too interesting. But nearby Olinda is quite nice getaway. I have a good Dutch friend living in Recife so it will be still okay hang out there for a while chasing mediocre but very friendly and passionate women. We will take side trips to Bahia and Fortaleza ect. By the way, there are always some nice student girls that are very approachable in Recife and Salvador with a little gifts or some pocket money they will have fun with you.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alohasiam said:

We will take side trips to Bahia and Fortaleza ect.

If you have the opportunity, try to go to Sao Luis. It's not so far from Fortaleza and it's one of the most enjoyable historic city in Brasil, but curiously the less visited. There's a very particular easygoing and poetic atmosphere in Sao Luis. The walking streets of the beautiful colonial renovated center (Projeto Reviver) are always very lively, with tons of outdoor cafes always packed, open-air concerts, ect, and the reggae and pagode bars/clubs along the Calhau and Ponta d'Areia beaches are also good pick-up spots. Girls in Sao Luis are very approachable and geniously sweet.

The Lencois Maranhense, beside Sao Luis, is a kind of Sahara with only sand dunes and no vegetation, stretching about 150 kilometers along the coast and up to 60 km inland. Really a fabulous and spectacular landscape, totally unexpected in Brasil.

Just my two centimos.

• 3 weeks later...

Sat Apr 1. Associated Press :

" Cracking down on visitors who come to Brazil for sex, police raided clubs known for using call girls and strippers, detaining 118 foreigners early Saturday to discourage what authorities called "sexual tourism.

Luiz Pereira, a federal police officer, said the country hoped the operation "will help discourage tourists who think sexual tourism is easy in Brazil. We are showing that police are paying attention to this problem, he said." "

Those crackdowns happened in Rio and Natal. Seems that the Brasilian authorities have decided to clean up the most obvious sex-tourism scenes.

It's clear that the problems in Rio have to do with a clash between a new breed of obvious sex tourists (brasilian women have been featured recently in a lot of MTV rap videos, which is bringing in a certain kind of guys, the "MTV fake-gangsta" kind) who don't even pretend to be subtle about it, and Brasilian cultural values.

I'm not surprised.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Superfly

I can't really answer as it's been almost one year that I haven't been to Brasil.

Anyway you don't have to worry that much. Violence has always been prevalent in Sao Paulo, but shootouts between traficantes and cops usually happen in the poor suburbs or in the favelas, where you have absolutly no reasons to go, and VERY rarely (maybe one or two times every year) in the south or west zones.

• 2 months later...
Prosal ( ..... ) I really want to stop by Sao Paolo. I have one question, do you know if there are local flights from Rio to Sao Paolo, and how much for foreigners ?

-thanks in advance,

Gonads02

Gonads.

To answer your PM, yes, there's a Varig air shuttle - ponte aerea - from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro. It leaves every 50 minutes and connnects Santos Dumont in Rio, which is NOT the international airport but the domestic one near Centro, to Congonhas in Sao Paulo, also a domestic airport, well-located in the 'zona sul' (Moema, one of my favourite neighbourhood in SP).

Last time I was in Brasil (Nov 2005), I paid about 100 reals one way if my memory serves me. It shouldn't have changed a lot.

Hope this help. I envy you, Rio during Xmas/New Year's Eve is a fantastic break.

Thanks for your kind words also.

Archived