A Question About a SCSI Chain

drlove

We have two laptops at work running Windows 2000. The same machines basically. We have a scsi card and a couple of external scsi drives chained together. Sometimes, no matter what I do, even restart, my computer won't poll or see the drives. My partner's computer sees them when we put the card in his computer.

Then what seems really strange is that after the drives have been seen on his system, if we pop the card out of his computer and into mine, my system then sees them. His system brings the drives or the scsi chain to life.

I am wondering what the heck is going on!

Hi,

without knowing much about your hardware, does one of the computers have internal SCSI components as well? I guess there is a problem with termination.

Does your SCSI-card have an own bios which tells you during boot which devices are available with which SCSI-ID? Does ist post anything during boot?

I'm not familiar with PCMCIA SCSI interfaces, but like Carlton said my guess is that it how the pcmcia card has been configured. The SCSI ID might no be probed by your card of the card isn't asking the disk to spin-up at boot time. Then of course there is the termination issue and the best way to do that is just strip the chain down to a node of one get that working and start adding. Im still hanging on to a SCSI scanner myself, a couple actually. Thank God for Fire Wire keep SCSI inside the case where it belongs.

Hehe,

like myself, I have a couple of SCSI cd drives and cd burners distributed within the family and friends. Amazing how unimpressed these old SCSI cd burners are by most copy protected audio cds. But haven't experimented with external SCSI components. When I developed interest in home computers USB was already available.

Archived