Help! More e-mail troubles...

bangkokbutcher

Says SOONGMAK:

hi BB,

sounds like a hell of a problem and something I have no experience with. I did some hunting in the newsgroups and came up with two helpfull groups out there where you might want to pose your question, assuming you have XP:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

miicrosoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support.

It might be helpful to tell them exactly what your updates were and what actions you have taken. Good luck!

Hey Soongmak,

well thats done it :banghead:, I have now found out that I cannot access any newsgroups.

Looks like I will have to run some bits through google to get some info, not sure if I can post any questions though...

:help:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BB,

yep I have tried the firewall thing as suggested earlier and as for sending an email to myself, yep tried that too, but one thing I forgot to mention was the actual email error message I an getting each time I try to connect send/receive etc etc.

Well here it is:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.xxx.co.uk (1)', Server: 'mail.xxx.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

NB: xxx replaces the name of one of my actual mail servers.

Keep em coming guys, I've got a headache :doah:

>>>We can conclude from your story that

a) Outlook does work, because you can still retrieve your hotmail <<<

Yep this is the case Soongmak, also my other email programs all seem to function correctly.

>>>B) that some of your email accounts do not work on your new computer, even if you set up a new email program.<<<

Yep, any kind of POP3 email cannot be sent or received at all.

I have 7 POP3 accounts in all, but only 3 are very important to me, 1 for work, 1 for personal and for this and that.

>>>So the software works, internet works, but it doesn't work together.<<<

That just about sums it all up :up:

>>>I think that you have to look at your connection when retrieving your email. I myself have several email accounts and some I have with a free internet provider. Free provider means that they make money if you connect to the internet through their network (getting a kick back from the telephone company). One of my providers recently changed his email settings. Meaning that you can only retrieve your email if you connect using their access points. Maybe you should try if you can access your mail when you connect through their network. <<<

Yep, I have also tried this with my 3 main ISP's, I use my broadband connection pretty much 100% of the time, but I do have one free account which requires you to connect via their dial up connection to receive their email, but it still dont work.

Neither my broadband or dial up connections will let me receive/send any POP3 email.

:banghead::cussing::censored: :onfire: :banghead::sleeping:

Check out what microsoft has to say about your error.

Well this is kind of interesting because the bug report noted explains the symptoms on the client side (BB) of a blocked ports on the server side (your isp). So the problem is that ports 25 and 110 are blocked on the server, according to the bug url. So will your POP3 mail accounts still work with another computer? or with another mail program on the computer in question.

• If you can access your pop3 mail from another computer the problem is on your new computer.

• If you can access your pop3 mail on your new computer with a different mail app like eudoramail or the one in Mozilla/Netscape than the problem is probably with outlook.

• If you cant access pop3 mail on your computer with Outlook or any other program, but you can access pop3 mail from another computer, then your computer and not the server is blocking ports 25 and 110.

• If you can't access pop3 with outlook or any other program on your computer or on another computer the problem is on the server side, assuming you have the mail sending and retrieval addresses correct in all instances.

If you have a terminal application on your computer can you open it up and type the following :

telnet smtp.xxx.co.uk 25 and tell us what the message you get is, remember to put your mail domain for "xxx" you can try telnet smtp.xxx.co.uk 30 while your at it. It should tell you what the escape charecter is, often [CTRL]+] youll need that to get back to the prompt.

The URL in the post above has a reference to this telnet help page.

Says SOONGMAK:

Hi BB,

Check out what microsoft has to say about your

Thanks for that one Soongmak, you seem to be getting pretty good at this troubleshooting sort of thing :grinyes:.

OK, so now the Microsoft support website has helped me to find the fault within my system, it would seem that my POP3 port number 10 and my STMP port number 25 no longer exist for some reason or another, hence they are no longer 'listening', being the term used on the site.

Now I though their site was pretty good in helping me find the fault, which I hope is correct, but they mention absolutely nowhere (that I could find) any way to fix my problem.

I have tried a few searches and get nothing more than a bunch of crap. :banghead: :onfire: :banghead:

So hopefully someone out there will know how to re-enable ports 10 and 25 on the Microsoft Exchange Server.

Slowly but surely I am making progress ::

Hi BB,

You give me more credit than i deserve when it comes to troubleshooting. :o The only thing I'm getting good at is finding things on the net.

What about Adikgede's suggestions? Sounds like a good laid plan to analyze where exactly your problem lies.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived