Help! More e-mail troubles...

bangkokbutcher

Therefore I have an image on a second partition with all necessary programs. In case something is going wrong terribly it takes only 15 min. to restore everything.

Murphy's Law predicts that your next computer crash will be because of a damaged hard drive. :devil::grinyes::devil:

Cheers!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says SOONGMAK:

I was about to ask you how you were doing BB! Congrats on finding the solution. Must have cost you some headaches though.
:doah:

I second Kamui's point of imaging your hard drive. It's the about the most usefull thing I have ever taught myself. After you have secured an image, no fuckup will give you a headache anymore.
:up:

Cheers,

soongmak

Thanks SM,

you are right about the headaches, I have never been so frustrated about something (that includes s*x) in my life :grinyes:.

Will be starting on the back up side of things next week, which reminds me, can you recommend a decent back up program?

Thanks again.

I personally like Drive Image by Powerquest, the same folks that make Partition Magic.

Most people seem to prefer Norton Ghost though. It's supposed to be harder to master though. You should definitely read http://ghost.radified.com/ . This web page goes into detail how to make an image of your hard drive using Ghost, and more importantly, what not to do.

Excellent website!

Cheers,

soongmak

Drive Image and Ghost are certainly the best known programs. I would like to add a plug for my personal favorite: Acronis TrueImage. I definitely recommend that people use such a program. It is only necessary to use it when you install or update your operating systems or programs, as long as you, in addition, regularly backup the directories that you edit all the time.

Perhaps a sentence or two on this latter point. Most people only make frequent updates in a very few directories. These might include My Documents, download directories etc. It just takes an hour or so to create a little batch file that copies stuff from these directories to your backup partition. A restore then consists of recovering your image followed by copying back these exception directories. A more sophisticated solution is to use something like PowerQuest DataKeeper to do essentially the same thing, plus keep a couple of older versions.

Just read this passage here from radified.com: With v2003, Ghost adds support for DVD burners. It also supports both USB 2.0 & Firewire drives. Best of all, Ghost now allows you to save/write images directly to NTFS partitions

Before you start working with an earlier version of Ghost, you better make sure you have a FTA/FAT32 partition ready to write the image to. This could save you from renewed frustration! :beer:

Cheers,

soongmak

BritTim wrote .

???. Most people only make frequent updates in a very few directories. These might include My Documents, download directories etc. It just takes an hour or so to create a little batch file that copies stuff from these directories to your backup partition??..

I use a freeware program to do this, called Karen?s Replicator. A neat and very simple program which is easy to set up to create an icon on the desktop and then double click it to copy directories, folders, files or whatever to another drive or partition. Can also be set up to schedule a copy such as every day, week, month, etc.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/

Archived