Pattaya Promotion.

Torneyboy

>I am still waiting for someone to show me why Beach Rd is worse than lower Sukhumvit when the night comes, why Walking St is sleazier than NEP, and if eschewing these places, why living in Pattaya is living in a shithole?

As I said, I know nothing about Pty nightlife. The thread is about Pattaya being promoted as a tourist destination. I did not like it in that regard.

It's not beautiful, it's not clean, the beach is crap.

IMO, Hua Hin or Cha Am are much nicer. No wonder 90% of people having lunch/dinner in restaurants there are farang families.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a big beach fan, so criticizing Jomtien would not register far with me. I am sure that these other places are quite fine, but your post seemed intent at putting down Pattaya for being Pattaya, while not having spent too much time there. I am sure in that case, your impressions are right, but why the need to denigrate. It is simply not your thing, that's all! Myself, I love to come to Pattaya, but i find it very healthy not to stay too long at once, leave it, visit other parts of the country and come back.

********I am still waiting for someone to show me why Beach Rd is worse than lower Sukhumvit when the night comes, why Walking St is sleazier than NEP, and if eschewing these places, why living in Pattaya is living in a shithole?

I think you missed an key point here. The sex areas of bangkok make up a tiny proportion of bangkok, with it's huge non-sex areas full of things to do. The opposite is the case with pattaya: the sex areas make up a huge proportion of it's area....and the thread's general drift was not comparing "beach road" with "lower suk."....it's comparing bangkok and pattaya.

TTM, you think too mutt.

A bit harsh on PTY I think. You know by now that I don't care for the Beer Bars, Gogo Joints and what's more directed at only the farang male. Still PTY has another side, reason for me to go there once in a while. And not only me but about half of the BKK Thais on long weekend as you noticed by the traffic jam on the way to the beach. Off season its one of the weekend holiday spots for Bangkokians. Hua Hin and Cha-am also, but they're quite a long way for just a weekend.

By the way, I try to avoid PTY on long weekends. The traffic jams and unusual crowded beaches the reason. BKK is nice and void of traffic jams on such weekend, so why go look for something you're confronted with in BKK each and everyday.

Now the human wrecks you've encountered maybe there, but away from certain bars, staying where most of the Thai visitors go, they are hard to spot.

Some very good Thai restaurants on Jomtien, again those that cater to the Thais (and the occasional farang). Lung Sawai on both end of the beach along Jomtien springs to mind. Not much luxury there but the food is excellent.

Cheers and don't T.T.M.

********I am still waiting for someone to show me why Beach Rd is worse than lower Sukhumvit when the night comes, why Walking St is sleazier than NEP, and if eschewing these places, why living in Pattaya is living in a shithole?

I think you missed an key point here. The sex areas of bangkok make up a tiny proportion of bangkok, with it's huge non-sex areas full of things to do. The opposite is the case with pattaya: the sex areas make up a huge proportion of it's area....and the thread's general drift was not comparing "beach road" with "lower suk."....it's comparing bangkok and pattaya.

Here we go again!

Folks, stay tuned for this month's version of Pattaya vs Bangkok. Same, same, but not different. Don't go away! :grinyes:

TTM, next time get the boat out to some of the outer islands. Don't know about 30 meter visibility like Sydney -- you sure about this? Five meters on a good day maybe.

BTW, you're right, Jomtien Beach is a filthy bog.

The opposite is the case with pattaya: the sex areas make up a huge proportion of it's area....and the thread's general drift was not comparing "beach road" with "lower suk."....it's comparing bangkok and pattaya.

-----------------------------

The key-point is that Pattaya was called a shithole.

actually, there was no comparison (for once!), but i think TTM usually stays in BKK, or nearby.

I have nothing against BKk, but let's not compare apples and oranges as far as what the cities offer. Bkk has a lot more, it is one of the hugest capitals in the world!

Nevertheless, i think you don't know Pattaya. the area beyond Beach Rd, then 2nd Rd is IMO, at least 5 times bigger than these 2 street perimeters. And since we talked about Jomtien, a lot bigger again. How many of you know Bang Saray beach? Only thai folks go there, and not in the numbers seen on Jomtien, big beach but quiet and very long.

There are thing you can do in Pattaya easily that you cannot do so easily in BKK. Like visitng the countryside that starts anywhere from the Suk Highway. A 20 km ride will take you in temples, monasteries, places and villages that are rewarding to see, giving you a pleasant afternoon in the green. You can repeat that a few times in different directions. Make it 50kms (one hour motorised) and places add up.

Not many farangs (or thais) go there, but that's where I can tell some of you that if you wished you could enjoy the place away from the 2 main sex areas. These laid-back, bucolic "thai life" kind of afternoons, I know i cannot jump on a bike or into a car/taxi in BKK, to get to so easily. So, my key point is: do not call Pattaya a shithole because you only see what you want to see or have no time to see other stuff.

Says BelgianBoy:

Says torneyboy:

Pattaya can be brash ,bold,beautifull and bucolic, and offers everything an authentic international beach resort can.

What else could you add to this to help boost tourism in Pattaya?? ::

What can I add ???
B
oobies,
B
ars,
B
arfines,
B
eer, .........
:beer:

Cheers !

Um... Was kinda looking for something like..Beaches,browsing and bargains.

But i guess we are of two minds :)

Hi TTM.

My first and last and never again visit was 97 with guys from TATs.

I said what are all these jet skis doing zaping in and out all over the place..polution galor.

They said we are going to ban them and clean up the beach and surrounds.

So i guess you are telling me is still the same.

I dont send anyone there if i can convince them of another beach spot/hua hin /etc.

Says Fiery Jack:

Says torneyboy:

Got a fax from a tour operator in Pattaya letting us know of thier promo. Went on a bit then i came to this :
Pattaya can be brash ,bold,beautifull and bucolic...

Bucolic
??? ::

bucolic
, a & n. Of shepherds, pastoral, rustic [Gk.
boukolikos
herdsman]

(Oxford English Dictionary v.I)

Funny, I don't remember seeing any sheep the last time I was in Pattaya ::. I shagged a few dogs though
:o

jack
:drunk:

A few girls in the bars look like sheep ?? :neener:

Or is he after our New Zealand friends to come to Pattaya and feel at home :o

>The key-point is that Pattaya was called a shithole.

actually, there was no comparison (for once!), but i think TTM usually stays in BKK, or nearby.

Look, I am talking as someone who has no any interest in nightlife of Pty. Say, as someone who took a package at a favourable price and compares the place with other resorts (or even hometown) using common parameters: general appearance, cleanliness, beach, facilities, the crowd that hangs around there....

I'll keep on going to Pty for a day trip, it's close and accessible, the sea brings what BKK can't offer.

And my gf and her friends love going there and have a lunch on the beach. All day feast yesterday amounted to 780Bhts + drinks.

What I am saying is - while in BKK, Pty is a nice getaway place.

What the thread is about - travelling the world to get there and not being interested in nightlife. Families and similar.

In that regard, I am still standing with with my (subjective) assessment of the place.

Would never recommend to anyone (other than sanukers) to go there. Actually, to non-sanukung segment of travelling public, Pty could be the only place in Thai I would not recommend as a sole destination.

Archived