Pattaya Promotion.

Torneyboy

Says june11:

I said the thread's "general drift" ..... by which I meant: it started heading towards the comparison of BKK vs. Pattaya with Pattaya1127's (or whatever his name is) comments.

Hi june11,

Maybe as Pattaya 127 lives there he is more vocal on the positives of Pattaya in general.

Easy for outsiders to see things that locals miss sometimes IMO.

Hope you are not offended..i was just trying to get the point over that the place is trying to do a promo..and what could we add to the list so to speak to drive the tourist dollar into Pattaya.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>I read today that Anna Kournikova is coming to Pattaya in November to play a demonstration match against Tamarine Tanasugarn. Phwoar! Hope she decides to dance at the gogos after the match!! Now that's what I call great promotion!

If we are reading the same papers, BKK Post says: "TAT has signed up for services for 10 million baht to promote the resort city popular with Russians".

I am wondering why more promotions targeting Russians - Thai is one of maybe 3-4 places on earth where they can go without visas anyway.

Fair number of them are/have been there already, many bach front restaurants have menus in Russian.

(I am aware the promotion goes far beyond Russinas).

?You didn't say anything about comparing Pattaya with other countries!?

you?re right & he didn?t mention everything?s 5 times the price in Oz where the women grind your gonads just for fun. Wonder why western thinking is so preoccupied with regulations & hygiene. TTM do you have armies of muscle-bound boy wonder cops on bicycles patrolling the beaches handing out tickets for petty offences all day long to make your day out surfing go with a bit more zip? Got to say the sleaze component marketed in Pattaya seems to have been pretty successful so far.

Tourneyboy, please don?t send them to Hua Hin. Pattaya & Phuket should be the protected zones of choice isolating farang lager louts and geriatric fondlers of teenage runaways along with other assorted social misfits. Best keep them all in one place, people feel safer that way. Bet you?ve shagged loads of dogs but you want to try a sheep or two for a change, they?re better kissers.

Says legover:

"TAT has signed up for services for 10 million baht to promote the resort city popular with Russians".

Possibly the best reason of all to avoid the place forever more.

I'll second that....... everywhere nice where I have been and seen ruskis, all quality goes down :( :( :( Russians think that money buys all, education as well........

Cheers !

Says legover:

?You didn't say anything about comparing Pattaya with other countries!?

you?re right & he didn?t mention everything?s 5 times the price in Oz where the women grind your gonads just for fun. Wonder why western thinking is so preoccupied with regulations & hygiene. TTM do you have armies of muscle-bound boy wonder cops on bicycles patrolling the beaches handing out tickets for petty offences all day long to make your day out surfing go with a bit more zip? Got to say the sleaze component marketed in Pattaya seems to have been pretty successful so far.

Tourneyboy, please don?t send them to Hua Hin. Pattaya & Phuket should be the protected zones of choice isolating farang lager louts and geriatric fondlers of teenage runaways along with other assorted social misfits. Best keep them all in one place, people feel safer that way. Bet you?ve shagged loads of dogs but you want to try a sheep or two for a change, they?re better kissers.

Hi Legover,

so are you saying Phuket and Pattaya are as bad as each other.?

I send many families to Phuket..i try to talk the Pty people into another destination.

***so are you saying Phuket and Pattaya are as bad as each other.?***

not exactly. Phuket is more picturesque, an easier place to be, nice island with more limited blight than Pattaya, but i think it's good to keep the tourist masses congregated so they don't ruin every square inch of the country & Pattaya serves that purpose. Pattaya's got its plus points, i wouldn't live there but i could easily live in Phuket. where i am right now is very Thai, a low key resort which is why i'm here and i'd like it to stay that way. living and touring are very different. you get to a certain point developing tourist destinations when it becomes a sort of tropical Butlins with sex thrown in, then it's screwed. next thai project is to turn Koh Chang into a copy of Phuket. not much any of us can do about it but watch. lots of other possibilities like Venezuela etc. In The Gambia i was told by a frequent flyer, you can get a 3 holer stunner for 30 quid a month, Fashion TV class!! maybe i was dreaming.

In my opinion unless your going for sanuk Pattaya leaves a lot to be desired. Pattaya beach itself is horribly polluted, yes you can venture to Jom Tien which is a bit cleaner but still pretty polluted. Pattay1276 mentioned some other beach and Im sure it exists but Ive never heard of it and I gather it is not widely promoted to tourists.

You can get boat tours out to surrounding islands and I have done so. But compared to simliar tours in Phuket the island tours seemed to offer nothing special.

Phuket and Koh Samui have much more to offer than Pattaya. What helps Pattaya is its close proximity to Bangkok.

Personally I like Pattaya because I am a sanuker. I love doing the bar scene in a different Soi each night, get up late morning and head to Jom Tien (maybe with girl from night before or not), read the Bangkok Post, have a swim and perve on some girls. As Roppongi suggests maybe hire a boat. Head back to the hotel do some shopping then get dinner and start the bar prowling again.

But if I wasnt for the bar scene I wouldn't bother going at all and wouldn't recommened it to anyone. Pattaya127 mentioned some hidden attractions - temples etc but I hazard to guess you could find similar places all over Thailand.

In summary unless they can clean up the polluted beaches, add some genuine high-end touristic experiences (such as are found in Phulet), and finally and I hat to say it - clean up the sanuk scene - I cant see a successful way of promoting Pattaya to non-sanukers.

When I first went to Pattaya in 1994 they were trying to play down it's main function as open air brothel and attempting to promote it to families and normal folk. I must admit to being shocked at the state of the place, thought it was totally horrible and still do. Most of the families and couples on the tour I was on went straight to the nearest travel agency to book trips to other places for the next day, I imagine this still happens.

There are places of considerable interest outside of pattaya, but surely not in it, well not that I have ever seen. I still love to go to nightlife places but Pattaya nightlife depresses the hell out of me, maybe it's the totality of it. When I first saw Pattaya from the bus window I thought it looked like all those cheap and loud Spanish holiday resorts that I never wanted to go to. Hua Hin gets my vote for a seaside destination, just wish it had a cinema!-peter

heading towards the comparison of BKK vs. Pattaya

-----------------------------------

My fault then. I can't help seeing that it's the guys who partake in BKK nightlife who are the ones who "hate" Pattaya. Really, to me, it's ::. I don't see a real debate there.

I also see that guys like me, who enjoy Pattaya, rarely put down BKK, but state the obvious: BKK is a huge metropolis and Pattaya is a resort with a slower, easy-going pace and the 2 main P4P street easy to escape with a squeeze on the bike throttle (see my earlier post).

Archived