Monks better than others?

khunsanuk

You lost me on the broken line bit.

-----------------------------

basically, you are supposed to be ordained by someone of the same order as you, in that case, by a woman nun, of which the Sangha says there are none (none nuns!) anymore. A specious argument as FlyW showed, since there is still an order of nuns in Sri Lanka, which by the way, was also the country from where thai Buddhism got his jump start in the Sukhotai period, I think. The Thai sangha is actually not folllowing any tradition (apart from the basic rules of theravada Buddhism), and redistributed the dices, under the aegis of King Chula, along the lines of a centralized religious authority emanating from BKK. They are a very slow-moving authority as concerns reforms, to say the least.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

The topic raised her by me came up (kinda) in the office this morning and I asked the question to my co-workers. The only answer I got was a "it is our culture". Hardly satisfactory, and to me this just meant that they don't know either and are just doing what they are told without bothering to find out why. Somehow seems that I should have expected that.

Sanuk!

>>>That's the problem with most thais. the tip of their nose if far enough.... <<<

i think that is the problem with the vast majority of humanity regardles of nationality or ethnicy.

i think that is the problem with the vast majority of humanity regardles of nationality or ethnicy.

----------------------------------------------

who knows? But not my experience living in France or USA, and the few countries I travelled to. India for example, the people are so fucking vibrant with inner life there, and you can ask about the whys and whats of their religion, they will really be happy to see your interest and answer many of your questions. In return, they will want to know many things from where you come from, not just how much money you make and if you like Michael Jackson.

>>>India for example, the people are so fucking vibrant with inner life there,<<<

well, an at the same time you have the largest states of the federation, bihar, UP, MP and andhra pradesh, caught up in brutal oppresssion by the most archaic sythem imaginable. debtslavery, cast wars, communal wars...whatever you can imagine. not to forget kashmir and the the civil war of panjab in the 80' and 90's. and the recent riots in gujarat...

just read up a bit about the 'ranvir sena' and read mala sen's autobiography of poolan devi, not much has changed in those areas...

dunno if you ask the dalit if they would not prefer less of an inner life but instead some form of basic security... ;)

but yeah, on a violence level india is in many areas a fucking nightmare, and many areas out of the tourism path are some of the most unsafe areas for a westerner to go to here in asia.

scum baggio, who has been way deeper into india than i will ever get, could tell you more than a few hair raising stories here... :eek:

Archived