Monks better than others?

khunsanuk

Often in family parties, we have the kids eat first. What I mean is that your question is a farang question and may not have too much import to thai folks.

Whenever we have a big party with the whole family, the husband's family (my wife's uncle) is 'allowed' to eat first.

My wife and I are included in that group and I don't feel comfortable at all eating and drinking while the others are waiting for us to have filled our bellies before replacing us on the table.

Doesn't make sense to me and sure as h%ll doesn't give me a feeling of equality and harmony.

Her answer is that this is some sort of tradition, habit whatever.

I love and respect this country and its culture etc., but some things are beyond my understanding.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says khunsanuk:

Now coming from the point of view that everybody is equal (and only our actions cause us to gain or lose respect), I find it very strange to see these things in a religion which I believe promotes equality.

To start, Deposit that Western abstract concept called "equality" at the door when entering Thailand, it's not much use to you.

Secondly you are confusing the theoretical basis of the religion for the real world construct of society. Thai society is heirarchical (in fact virtually all societies are heirarchical, it's just that Thai's dispense with the charade that it's not). The religion cannot exist independent of the society so it adapts to fit the society. Sometimes it's the other way round but rarely.

Why are monks considered higher? well I'd say it in recognition of their (supposed) sacrifice to pursue a more holy, sacred, moral, whatever, way of life. In a way they are a tool by which the laity can express their desire to lead a better life

>>>No, I think P127 is correct on this part.<<<

actually, both are correct.

the white robed nuns are not fully ordained nuns. the reasoning of the sangha is that the direct line has been broken.

nevertheless. there is one courageous nun living near nakhorn pathom who has been ordained in sri lanka (where the line has not been broken). the official sangha is endlessly pissed off with her but they can't do fuck all about it. ::

as far as i know there are right now several others in sri lanka waiting for their full ordination.

i have once met this nun - a very interesting person who has studied in india in the famous shanti niketan university.

Archived