"...Work off line..."

Old Hippie

For some reason, every now and then, My dial up icon appears when I try to change pages. I click on file in explorer, and see that my "work off line" Icon is checked. Any idea what causes this? Is this the virus I have been reading about, and am supposedly protected from?

You can get the virus if you are running Windows 2000 or XP without the M$ patch or a firewall. It can show one of several symptoms:

Can't disconnect - when you're online the only way to disconnect is restart, the regular right - click disconnect doesn't work.

Re-starting the comp - it will also stop the Remote Procedure Call service which (if set to default) will casuse the comp to restart after 60 seconds.

Cut and paste - these functions are also effected and won't work properly.

There are probably more but I have yet to see a 'work offline' symptom, have you tried looking through your browser options and configuration settings to make sure its not set as default.

Connected by DSL, and I am browsing the web, and everything is fine, then I get the dial up Icon, and a small pop up telling me "...the page you want is not available off line..." and when I click "file" there is a check mark next to "workoff line..." I'll give Earthlink (my ISP) a call later and see what they say...

OH,

maybe your dial up connection has a time out.

My IE is in German, but I will try to explain how to check this.

Go to extras? in Internetexplorer, open Internet option, click on connection. Depending on what version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer, the Connection tab will appear different.

Click once on the line for your Fuse? connection.

Click Settings.

On the bottom, click the Advanced button.

Make certain Disconnect if idle for __ is not checked.

Maybe this helps, if not buy a new computer :neener:

It sounds like you're occasionally losing the DSL connection and it is reverting back to dial-up and then going offline. Try setting the dial-up connection (Internet Properties, Connectons) to "Never dial a Connection" to stop the pop-up. Worth contacting your ISP for a proper diagnosis and explanation though.

Two more possible problems which could cause connection failure:

First: some settings on your Computer like MTU should be optimized

Second: Your provider does not offer a good connection. If your provider is not able/willing to solve your problem I would go to Broadband reports and search the FAQs and maybe post your problem there. They seem to have a very helpful tool: DrTCP. But first you might try their online tweak to find out if your computer is configured well: Online tweak for DSL

The people have some humor:

(from their page:)

Tweaking may fix

- Slow download speeds

- Download slower than upload speed

- Skipping in TCP streaming video/audio

- Blank web pages

- Connection issues to some sites :up:

Tweaking will not fix

- Packet loss

- Multiplayer games over UDP

- Your ping time