Bali - should I go ?

gobbledonk

Guys,

As many of you know, I am off to Jakarta at Xmas. I had intended making a short trip to Bali to see the usual sights, and the bomb site. Initially, it seemed like a mark of respect to the people who died there, but the more I think about it, the less I am convinced that it serves any worthwhile purpose. I'm sure the Balinese just want it all behind them, and having tourists ask the way to Paddy's Bar (now rebuilt) may not be the best way to help them do that. Substitute one of the nightclubs in *your* town for the Sari Club, and ask yourself if you'd want tourists descending on the site.

Have any of you visited the site since the bombing ? If so, were there any positives to be taken away from the whole experience ?

Says artiew:

Guys,

As many of you know, I am off to Jakarta at Xmas. I had intended making a short trip to Bali to see the usual sights, and the bomb site. Initially, it seemed like a mark of respect to the people who died there, but the more I think about it, the less I am convinced that it serves any worthwhile purpose. I'm sure the Balinese just want it all behind them, and having tourists ask the way to Paddy's Bar (now rebuilt) may not be the best way to help them do that. Substitute one of the nightclubs in *your* town for the Sari Club, and ask yourself if you'd want tourists descending on the site.

Have any of you visited the site since the bombing ? If so, were there any positives to be taken away from the whole experience ?

Artiew....Go.

Look at NYC people are travelling and going to ground zero to show respect...and still enjoy a holiday.

I would still go if i was you.

We have Bali posters up for the first time since the bombing last week.

The wholesalers want to start a soft sell on Bali for the Christmas breaks.

Artiew,

easy as that, if you go to Bali then also go see the site. But going to Bali only to see the site?

As far as I know from the net, Paddy's was rebuilt some 50 meters away from the original location, with at least double the space that it had before.

What might be more important for the Balinese than you staying in front of anything and feeling grief is bringing your business to Bali.

yeah I was there after bomb, but very surreal nothing very excited. was in nyc also just recently, but did not bother trekking down ground zero :o

I say only goto bali if you feel like visiting this beautiful place - don't go just for sari club. actually paddies is not rebuilt (yet?) according to my friend there even many internet reports say so, or she may be wrong? :dunno:

few latest times I've visited indo I've alternated between jakarta & bali & this xmas I'm considering visiting again, but remember something about very rainy season at bali (and jakarta?) that time of year? :dunno:

yes there was a picture of the new club on the net version of the jakarta post about 1 0r 2 weeks ago. It was getting ready for the grand opening.

They work fast as i was there mid january and it was a paddock of dirt.

Archived