AIS GPRS + Mobile + Laptop

Straycat

Any mobile AIS GPRS genius out there? I could really use some help...

I continously get the following error message on the computer when I try to connect:

"Error 738. Host cannot give server address" (or something like that, I have a non-English OS)

The stuff:

SonyEricsson P800 (mobile)

Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ XP (laptop)

AIS post-paid subscription w/ GPRS and "Mobile Office"

Bluetooth modem (which works fine using regular internet connections)

GPRS setting on the phone has been done automatically by SMS (may very well be screwed up already here by AIS).

On the computer I've used the following setting:

Extra modem string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP",,"internet"

I call AIS GPRS by the following number: *99***1#

My sources say AIS GPRS use dynamic IP

DNS server 1: 202.183.255.20

DNS server 2: 202.183.255.21

IP header compression is: Off

No user name & password is applied.

Trust me I've looked about everywhere, I cannot figure this one out. At the time my internet usage is pretty limited as well (regular phone line is down) so it's quite painful to keep looking (I've spent most part of the afternoon on this stuff already...)

Maybe AIS use a static IP?

Any other hints or tricks?

Is there anyone out there that has been succesfull setting this up?

I used to get this error because I forgot to put the extra modem settings in.

For my hand phone I use

at+cgdcont=1,ip,?internet?

which is a little different to yours. Not sure if it's because I use a Siemens phone or you have the wrong settings. Worth a try? I emailed AIS to solve this problem when I had it and they replied with exact solution to problem albeit in Thai!

BTW I hardly ever use GPRS except for wap as AIS costs too much!

Cheers,

Well, I got this from AIS a while back explainin how to connec Laptop with GPRS....sorry no full English version.. maybe you can ask AIS also...

¡ÒÃàª×èÃÃ抅 Laptop ( Window XP ) ¼èÒ¹ GPRS

1. ¤ÅÔê¡·Õè Start ? Setting ? Control Panel

2. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Control Panel áÅéǴѺàºÔŤÅÔê¡ Network and Internet Connection

3. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Network and Internet Connection ´ÑºàºÔŤÅÔê¡·ÕèËÑÇ¢éà Network connection

4. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Network Connection ´ÑºàºÔŤÅÔê¡·ÕèËÑÇ¢éà Create a new

connection

5. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒ¨à New Connection Wizard (Welcome to the New Connection Wizard) ¤ÅÔê¡ Next

6. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ New Connection Wizard (Network Connection Type) àÅ×á·Õè Connect to the internet áÅäÅÔê¡·Õè next

7. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ New Connection Wizard (Getting Ready) àÅ×á·Õè Set up my connection manually ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡·Õè Next

8. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ New Connection Wizard (Internet Connection) àÅ×á·ÕèËÑÇ¢éà Connect using a dial-up modem áÅäÅÔê¡·Õè Next

9. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒ¨à Internet Connection Wizard à¾×èÃàÅ×á Modem ·Õè¨Ããªé㹡ÒÃàª×èÃõèà «Ö觶éÒãªéà¤Ã×èç Ericsson t39m 㹡ÒÃàª×èÃõèà ¨Ã»ÃÒ¡® Modem Ericsson t39m ãËéàÅ×á Ericsson t39m áÅéǤÅÔê¡ Next

10. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ New Connection Wizard (Connection Name) 㹪èç ISP nameãËé¾Ôþìª×èüÙéãËéºÃÔ¡ÒÃÃÔ¹àµÃÃìà¹çµ (ISP)ã¹·Õè¹Õé¾Ôþì¤ÓÇèÒ AIS GPRS ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡ Next

11. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ New Connection Wizard (Phone Number to Dial) 㹪èç Phone numberãÊèËÃÒÂàÅ¢ ISP ·Õèµéç¡ÒÃàª×èÃÃ抅 Internet ã¹·Õè¹Õéãªéà»ç¹ËÃÒÂàÅ¢ Connect Internet ¢Ã§ AIS GPRS ¤×à ËÃÒÂàÅ¢ *99***1# ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡ Next

12. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Internet Account Information ·ÕèãËéãÊè Username áÅà Password «Ö觶éÒàª×èÃõèüèÒ¹ËÃÒÂàÅ¢ *99***1# äÃèµéçãÊè Username áÅà Password áÅà àÃÒà¤Ã×èçËÃÒ¶١Ãá¨Ò¡ËÑÇ¢éà Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡ Next

13. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒ¨à New Connection Wizard (Completing the New Connection Wizard) ãËéàÃÒà¤Ã×èçËÃÒ¶١Ãá¨Ò¡ËÑÇ¢éà Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡ Finish

14. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Network Connection ¨Ã»ÃÒ¡¯ ääùàª×èÃõèà ·Õèä´éÊÃéÒ§äÇéµÃ¹áá ã¹·Õè¹Õé¤×Ãääèù AIS GPRS ãËé´ÑºàºÔŤÅÔê¡·Õèääù AIS GPRS áÅéÇàÅ×á Tab Properties

15. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ AIS GPRS Properties àÅ×á·Õè Tab Networking ãËéÃÕà¤Ã×èçËÃÒ¶١ ੾Ò÷ÕèËÑÇ¢éà Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) áÅéǤÅÔê¡ Properties

16. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡àÅ×á·Õèääù Use the following DNS server addresses: â´ÂãËéãÊè

Preferred DNS server: 202.183.255.20

Alternate DNS server: 202.183.255.21 ¤ÅÔ¡ OK

17. ¨Ã¡ÅѺÃÒ·Õè˹éÒ¨à Connect AIS GPRS ÊÓËÃѺãËéãÊè Username áÅà Password «Ö觡ÒÃàª×èÃõèüèÒ¹ËÃÒÂàÅ¢ *99***1# äÃèµéçãÊè Username áÅà Password ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔ¡ Dial ·èÒ¹¨Ãà¢éÒÊÙèÃúºàª×èÃÃ抅 Internet ä´é

ËÃÒÂà˵Ø

㹡óշӡÒÃàª×èÃõèüèÒ¹â·ÃÈѾ·ìà¤Å×èù·ÕèÂÕèËéà Siemems s45 áÅà Me 45 ¨Ãµéçà¢éÒä»·Ó¡ÒÃá¡é䢡ÒõÑ駤èÒà¾ÔèÃàµÔôѧ¹Õé

1. ¤ÅÔ¡·Õè Start ? Settings ? Control Panel áÅôѺàºÔŤÅÔê¡àÅ×áääù Phone and Modem Options

2. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Phone and Modem Options â´Â¤ÅÔê¡àÅ×á·Õè Tab Modems

¨Ã»ÃÒ¡® Modem ·Õèµéç¡ÒÃàªè¹ Standard 19200 bps Modem ËÃ×à Siemens S45 modem â´ÂãËé¤ÅÔê¡àÅ×áãËéà»ç¹á¶ºÊÕ¹éÓà§Ô¹ ¨Ò¡¹Ñé¹ãËé¤ÅÔê¡·Õè Properties

3. »ÃÒ¡¯Ë¹éÒµèÒ§ Standard 19200 bps Modem Properties ËÃ×à Siemens S45 modem ¨Ò¡¹Ñ鹤ÅÔê¡àÅ×á·Õè Tab Advanced ¨Ã»ÃÒ¡¯ªèçãËéãÊè¤èÒ Extra Settings ãËéãÊè at+cgdcont=1,ip,?internet? áÅäÅÔê¡ OK ¨Ò¡¹Ñé¹ÊÒÃÒö·Ó¡ÒÃàª×èÃõèõÒâÑ鹵ù»¡µÔ

Unless some one here can guide you I suggest you take the phone and your laptop to an AIS service center if one exists. As an aside, my gprs terminal (an ericsson t39m) stopped working and it was because the provider blocked the phone when the balance on the sim dropped below USD1.00. Its something worth looking into if you have a prepaid plan and the balance has been low.

You might want to determine if the problem is with the terminal or with your pc. Can you use the internet on the phone itself?

You should also look around here : http://www.esato.com/ and here : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyericssonp800/ and you'll find the at command set for the T68i here : t68i at commands

I'd really like to avoid going to an AIS service center...but if I have to, I will....I'll start with sending an email though.

Anyhow:

-- GPRS on the phone itself works fine.

-- Bluetooth modem works fine (I'm using it right now calling AIS *937 modem pool)

The problem is with the AT command. If I use none I can connect to the AIS GPRS server. I'm being disconnected however because I don't get a server IP. -- If I use at+cgdcont=1,ip,?internet? I get a "hardware failure" notice on my PC and can't connect at all...

I'll look around to see if there's any special AT commands needed for P800...

Ok, m****f*****hell but I got it to work properly now.

The step-by-step guide:

Extra initialization commands for the modem:

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"

In Control Panel / Network Connection / The Actual Connection I did the following settings:

"Display progress while connection" -- checked

"Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc" -- unchecked

"Include Windows logon domain" -- unchecked

"Prompt for phone number" -- unchecked

Networking / Settings

"Enable LCP extensions" -- unchecked

"Enable software compression" -- unchecked

"Negotiate multilink for single link connections" -- checked

Networking / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

"Obtain an IP address automatically" -- checked

"DNS server address 1 and 2": As posted above in this thread

Under "Advanced" -- Check "Use standard gateway"