Aussies - Are you ashamed of QANTAS???

MooNoi

I have refused to fly Qantas for some years, for the following reasons :

1. Qantas management are arrogant. They have used their position in the industry to muscle out a number of competitors on domestic routes, and done everything that they can to discourage the introduction of foreign airlines into Oz. They treat many of their workers like shit, and this leads directly to industrial action, often at peak times. In short, they suck bigtime.

2. They are expensive - usually be a significant margin - compared to airlines like Cathay, Singapore Airlines and Garuda. As for domestic, thank God for Richard Branson - I'll fly Virgin at every opportunity.

The sooner they are broken up, and each arm is forced to actually compete, the better it will be for everyone.

Artiew, well said, totally agree.

Way overpriced, piss-poor attitudes, but.. they're yet to crash.

I fly with them from Tokyo to Sydney only because a transfer in Asia doubles the chances of a crash, and I hate flying.

Amazing how you can fly from Tokyo to NY (16 hrs?) for US$400-600 but to fly to Sydney costs at least double that and the flying time is half! Agh yes, good old competition... or lack of it!

Also, what is it with this stupid trend of turning off the lights, closing the curtains, hoping everyone falls asleep even if you're on a short day flight?

C'mon Cyril and Shazza, entertain us...on second thoughts, we'll sleep. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree. When living in the UK and going to Oz, always went via Tokyo on JAL or ANA. Would have used BA but you would then have to use QANTAS for the NRT-SYD/CNS leg.

When going to BKK from LHR you used to have to make sure that you didn't get the 4 digit flight number (this is a QANTAS code share).

I think they are shit and have rightly suffered at the hands of Virgin Blue in OZ.

By the way, does anyony know the latest on Virgin's plans to use Virgin Blue to fly out of OZ to Asia, presumably to SIN, BKK and NRT ?

i dont know much about Aussies/Quantas. All what i can say is i am Swiss and

i dont fly Swiss! Swiss are expensive, arrogant and has a poor board service and the leading managers are more as doubtful.

So i think i can understand why Aussies dont fly with their national airline. Maybe

because the same points.

" If you are using FF points why worry about the cost if paying cash/cc?'

If you are asking me then in my particlar case the only way I really get the FF tickets coming through is by buying Qantas tickets and accruing points.

I need to buy four return tickets to get one free one. Right now it's cheaper to forget about points and go with the best deal offered by competitiors.

" Amex/ Qantas Visa card etc..every dollar you spend earns one FF point..so the more you spend the more points you earn"

I get what you mean now. I know a guy who pays for all his retail stock with American express. His supplier accepts it and he has not paid for a holiday in three years

Says walletss:

" Amex/ Qantas Visa card etc..every dollar you spend earns one FF point..so the more you spend the more points you earn"

I get what you mean now. I know a guy who pays for all his retail stock with American express. His supplier accepts it and he has not paid for a holiday in three years

As long as you can pay the card off on due date ..all is well.

Many use the card for petrol,pay rent,food everything they can.

""Free"" trips galor...and often have specials..remember i went to Hongkong a couple of years ago for the Rugby sevens...should have cost 80k in points..special 50k and Bus/class. :up:

[color:"red"] I know a guy who pays for all his retail stock with American express. His supplier accepts it and he has not paid for a holiday in three years

[/color]

The guy might well be wasting his money, unless the cost of the retail stock is of no consequence to him. Amex don't do this for free and you can oftern negotiate a substantial discount by NOT using a card.

Of course if you use a personal card for business expenses, well build up those points. But someone is paying for it.

Says jacko:

[color:"red"] I know a guy who pays for all his retail stock with American express. His supplier accepts it and he has not paid for a holiday in three years

[/color]

The guy might well be wasting his money, unless the cost of the retail stock is of no consequence to him. Amex don't do this for free and you can often negotiate a substantial discount by NOT using a card.

Of course if you use a personal card for business expenses, well build up those points. But someone is paying for it.

Business/company or personal amex.

The merchant pays the 3% admin fee not you..as long as you pay the card off at due date no fees for you..only annual membership fee.

Other CCs well again unless you pay it off you will pay 15-17% interest on the purchases.

Say SYDBKK return with QF points is 80k..same to Viet nam and Hongkong...few less to Singapore.

So you need to rack up some purchases to get the flight...many do BTW.

[color:"red"] The merchant pays the 3% admin fee not you [/color]

Rather naive to think that this cost doesn't get passed on, although the CC companies make it hard to avoid.

Off the thread topic but an interesting discussion, I have often saved money by asking for a discount not to use my Amex. And we all know the habit in Thailand of a surcharge for credit card use. My point - the free 'awards' may not quite be free.

Archived