Info on getting to Ankor Wat from Phnom pehn.

sky brow

You can go by boat, road or air. I have not done it for a while, but this is my recollection as to roughly what each entails

Air: about US$150 for round trip (expensive); used to be many flights, but not sure now since RAC folded. Obviously very fast.

Boat: by fast boat (trust me, you do not want to use the slow boat) it costs about US$15 each way and takes about four or five hours IIRC. Some claim the boat can be dangerous because some boats are a bit clapped out and overloaded. I always felt it was OK.

Road: these days, that is typically a minibus from places like the Capitol Guest House. Cost: a little under US$10 each way. The roads are much better than they were a few years ago. I would guess the journey time at about six hours now, but not sure.

Is one day enough? Not in my opinion. Give it two or three days if possible.

I am sure someone on www.km11.com could give you up to the minute information. Enjoy your trip!

Took the "fast" boat in October 2001. Can't remember whether it was $20 or $15 but, either way, I wouldn't choose that method again. Starts only at 6am (not my favourite time of day) and is pretty uncomfortable. The guidebook said it was worth it for "the scenery" but I beg to differ. Most of it was samey and dulled considerably after 4 hours. Besides, if you want to see floating villages, etc, you can do that more efficiently with a short trip from the Siem Reap end. If I did it again, I'd take the plane.

3 days at least for Angkor Wat. Otherwise you'll regret it. It's a complex of temples spread over a large area and it really does take that long even to see the highlights.

Recommend to eat at The Soup Dragon in Siem Reap btw.

In October, many speedboats will be available. They usually leave from Sithawath quay around 0700 and are $25.00 one way, best purchased thru a hotel. They are usually somewhat overcrowded, with people on the roof. I found the best place to sit was in the stern, by the outboard engins but earplugs are recomended. It gets really stuffy inside and you can't see anything. It is a pretty interesting 6 hour trip. At the Siem Reap end, you will be acosted by 22,000 touts pushing guesthouses. Just grab a moto driver and take a very bumpy 10K ride into town. There are many guest houses and small hotels from $15. up with ac and bath. I stayed at the Bakong G.H., very clean and comfortable but not guest friendly. e-mail bakong@rep.forum.org.kh

It's hot and there is a limit to how much you can see in 1 day. Ideally, I would suggest 3 days. You can hire a moto driver for about $6/day who will wait on you where ever you go. During the hottest part of the day, you can go back to the hotel and relax. I believe a 3 day park pass was $40

You can book an air ticket there for your return to PP for about $50.

Much info on www.talesofasia.com

dj

IMHO, talesofasia is the best and most uptodate site about travelling in Cambodia. :up: I followed the Gordons advice BKK-Siem Reap, Siem Reap-PP and had a great time (almost).

By the way, I took the speed boat, but arrived late and at sat at the prow. It was great, but if you need/want to sit on the roof, don't forget a sun blocker and suitable clothes against strong winds. (Sitting for 4-5 hours in the strong wind I caught a cold and a sunburn ::)

I concur with all the above and reiterate:

Take the boat, lotsa scenery (at least for half the trip) book it from your PP hotel.

3 days is about right for Angkor, 1 is not really enough.

Try to get the hydrofoil back to PP, quicker.

Cheers

Coss

Archived