Writing Thai on the 'Puter (�Ô¡)

Straycat

[ÃÔ¡ "ig" - again]

Surely, this one has been up the board before but things evolve...

Let me first state that the easiest solution to my "problem" is to buy stickers of Thai characters and put them on my keyboard. Let's assume however that I don't want to do that (which is actually also the case :)).

The Problem

There's no problem writing Thai on my computer. I use Win XP Pro and there's built in support for Thai and number of other languages. That's good.

However, the language support implementation sort of sucks. Or it may be the Thai types that really sucks...

This is how I'd like to do it.

1) Change language to Thai

2) Bring up the built-in virtual keyboard

3) Type

Unfortunately, the virtual keyboard in the Thai version is so cluttered you can hardly see what the types are. For example it's very hard to distinguish between Dor Dek (¥) and Kor Kwaai (¤). You just cannot see which way the "head" is turned. This goes for a number of other characters as well.

[it's even very hard to here on the board. I'm not sure I got it right above 'cause I simply cannot see what the characters are!]

In part, I guess, this is to blame the Thai types. They're sort of cut very small and not well suited for computer screens.

The Questions

-- Can anyone recommend a Thai type that is well suited for computer screens?

-- Is there a better alternative to the XP built-in virtual keyboard or perhaps a hack to the same that will display Thai characters more clearly?

-- Does anyone have a picture or a link to the mapping of a Thai keyboard (kedmanee version)?

It's not bad to use charmap (go to "run" in the "startmenu", type "charmap" [without quotes]). However, the letters are presented in a different order according to which type you use. As you note, it gets tedious. It's very easy to see the characters though unlike the virtual keyboard....

Archived