Firewall and Posting to Nanaplaza.com

BaronTT

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

again Pete, unless you have some fascination with a bloated program, notorious for conflicts, just pass on Norton and download Avast ........ very easy setup, FREE and no hassles I have bumped into in 2 years.

Agree with the Norton comment but have not seen very high reviews of Avest (mostly negative) but reason I stopped using it was the email sets up a proxy that some Thai servers have a serious problem with (thinking message is a relay as 127.0.0.1 (or some such address) is listed first and it is not what they expect) and will not accept email period and could find no way around it (other than using another server - which I did).

Have been very happy with AVG since recent change to XP operating system. Update not as automatic as Avest but virus detection seems to be rated higher.

Yes, no problem with using AVG IMO.

Have not run into any prob with Avast and email ???? Are you referring to the auto program update? Very interested to hear any comments as I am about to send Avast some serious money for their highend program.

The auto download feature is what I liked most about Avest. No. The email scanner function causes outgoing email to have a start number of 127.0.0.1 or some such thing and the email servers of MWEB/KSC were programed to not accept anything other than the number you were assigned for that session in email header. All outgoing email was refused by server. Advised KSC about the problem and they admitted there was no work around and assigned me another server that was not programmed with this added feature (they put it in during one of the mass worm attacks late last year or early this year). Had used AVG years ago but downloads were very slow (from UK) and gave up on it. When loaded XP earlier this year gave AVG another try (as it seems to be rated highly in virus detection) and downloads are fast now and updates frequent. The free version is not automatic like Avest however.

OK, thanks .. guess it is strictly a KSC problem/conflict. Good to know though........ thanks :bow: Since I use my own server for email, shouldn't be a problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just purchased a new laptop which has Norton Antivirus 2004 pre-installed, although I can access the Nanaplaza site, I cannot access the board. The directions for the Norton fix are for the 2003 edition and do not match the menu in the 2004 version. Anybody have up-dated instructions using the 2004 Norton Antivirus menu??

I fortunatly still have my old desktop up and running, but not for much longer.

Thanks

David

• jigger unpinned this topic

Archived