Getting Breakfast cooked by Thai GF In Thailand ?

Torneyboy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi TB,

yes it was a steep learning curve, but luckily I lkied Issaan foon. When staying at her village, she always wanted to cook me something separate, or the same that they fed the kids, but I would prefer what the other adults ate. As for coffee, I'd go to Tesco or Ca'four before leaving for issarn, and I'd buy a tin of finely ground espresso coffee. I would in the morning simply ask for boiling water and make my own cofee.

Those were the days!

Says phoenix:

Hi TB,

yes it was a steep learning curve, but luckily I lkied Issaan foon. When staying at her village, she always wanted to cook me something separate, or the same that they fed the kids, but I would prefer what the other adults ate. As for coffee, I'd go to Tesco or Ca'four before leaving for issarn, and I'd buy a tin of finely ground espresso coffee. I would in the morning simply ask for boiling water and make my own cofee.

Those were the days!

Hi px

Luck you like the food style..and your tummy ::

Boiling water can be a bit tricky up north if they have those big kettle things with a tap at the bottom you are ok.

Otherwise out the back and boil on a cooker top.

Hot water after a big night not good for me ..so go without when north.

BanngButcher

I believe you btw ::

Have never seen a slim butcher :neener:

• 8 years later...

I was lucky enough to meet a girl that has that Asian gene that can replicate almost any recipe. It's so good that I would seriously doubt whether a team of scientists and chefs equipped with mass spectrometers could match her talent. She appears to have that certain sensibility that can appreciate and fully comprehend and therefore go onto further improve the concept. I first noted it when she started to emulate (without any prompting) the type of hotel buffet you get for breakfast at the 5 star resorts in Samui after a fortnight's holiday there. You know the kind of thing - omelettes made to order with all those 'el cheapo' ingredients (the usual culprits - spam for christ's sake!), soggy bacon, slices of pineapple and pappaya... Not that admirable you'd probably agree, but when we were in London we both enjoyed the full English breakfasts. The breakthrough was made when I took her to the regional town and showed her the expat shops - German, English, Australian/NZ... One morning's shopping then back to the village. Then the pampering began. All sorts of expat food, full English breakfasts 24/7 - a kind of breakfast heaven. I was floating on a cloud, a cloud of fluffy eggs, perfect toast and crispy bacon - it nearly draws a tear to my eye just thinking about it...

She has a powerful arsenal for hangovers as well (failing the English breakfast). Her tinctures / concoctions - and sheerly practical items like homemade kimchi for a poor stomach - with 'special' fried rice are winners. Congee is elevated to perfection and she can make a mean Yam nuea yang (spicy beef salad) which will snap you out of any disillusions or pre-conceived notions about the worries and machinations of the world - because this is pure comfort food - well for the chilli head like me I suppose.

But yeah, I suppose she is a 'foodie' - and I actively encourage it, God bless her. I suppose I'm an 'enabler'. I buy those glossy Thai cookbooks and kind of leave them lying around strategically open at the right recipe, drop hints all the time, bring home 'challenge' ingredients and reflect loudly that I wouldn't have the first idea how to cook it - that sort of thing. I don't see it as manipulative - well maybe it is - but in a good way I suppose (^_-)-☆

Archived