How do you say these phrases in thai

yaak ja yuu gap khun

do u need to say 'ja', how would it change the meaning?

"I dont care what we do or where we go I just want to be with you."

I might have said, "pai nai, thaam arai, go-dai! yaak u gap khun, kaow jai ba?" Not very literal, does it work though? the "kaow jai ba?" is meant to make it sound sort of 'cute', 'emploring'...

Would it be better to say "yaak ja u gup khun" adding the particle "ja", does this make it mean " I JUST want to be with you"

Phom mai sonjai raw ja tham aray ruu pai nai.

How do u say this: "... tham-aray-ruu ..." or ".... ruu-pai- nai" never heard this. And what does the "ruu" mean (or add)?

phom geh yaak yuu gap khun

What does "geh" mean? 'just?'

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"daek" is slang for eating generally used in connection with animals, a word you should never use unless you are with good friends who speak that slang, and also if you are somewhat fluent also in the nonverbal communication. even with friends there are situations where you can say it, and where you can't.

can't really help you with the direct translations of the other words, "jiangdiaow" means somewhat "only". "sak tee" i don't know the direct translation.

i have never really learned thai properly, learned it like a baby memorising whole phrases and sentences in the context and expanded from that. most of what i say i could not really translate directly, just the sense of it.

and i'm still learning all the time.

Hi,

"do u need to say 'ja', how would it change the meaning?"

It turns it into future tense (?), "I would like to" rather than "I want"

"And what does the "ruu" mean (or add)?"

"ruu" means 'or'

"What does "geh" mean? 'just?'"

Yes, well 'only' would be closer I think.

Sanuk!

"I just want to be with you."

Phom yaak ja yuu gap khun. (this is "I want to be with you", I guess you could add "thawnan" (only) to get what you asked for)

"yaak yuu gap khun khondiaw" seems to sound more natural I would venture

Isn't "thawnan" closer to "like that" or "that's it" (depending on the situation)

Hi

Tawnan (à·èÒ¹Ñé¹) means just, only etc. "No more no less".

Often used with numbers or prices quoted.

Can be used in the sentence and so could Khon Diaw be used. Depending a bit on the situation.

Khon Diaw actually means one person.

So in this context it would imply that you want to be with just her (no one else around).

But now we get a bit in details and start confuding newbie's with the language. Better to keep it simple and that was KS's objective in his first answer IMO

Well, what else do you want to know....... in detail that is.

Problem is like always that you could indeed just translate an english phrase, but the Thai translation may in certain situation not a very good one. So KS just came up with a few simple translations that could be used. You want to subtleties of a language you need to learn it to a fairly advanced level first, so that speaking it comes sort of natural to you. Otherwise it'll only get you confused.

Of course, any explanations here must include its 'socio' context, that is, how it is 'used.' The context in which the phrase has meaning. This would be short of 'showing' how the phrase may be used in various situations, which isn't really possible here.

Don't 'hold back' for fear of confusing newbies, cause they aint the only ones reading!

Cheers :beer:

Archived