Beware of this fake ebay SPAM

steffi

I just got the following email and to the uninformed it looks semi-official.

The link you will actually take you to the following site

http://scgi.ebay.com@www.bmrobertson.com/saw-cgi/verify.htm?eBayISAPI.dll?&bidaccess=1&buyaccess=1&itemid=default&maxbid=default&makebidtype=559&uachoice=1&lagoonemorebid=0&raccept=1

which isn't an .ebay.com despite what the email suggests.

Significant headers as follows

From unverified_accounts@ebay.com Sun Sep 7 14:14:20 2003

Subject: Verify your ebay account!

Dear eBay User,

During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on eBay has been restricted. To start using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by clicking below :

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation

Regards,

eBay

***Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A

Response***

Hi Steffi,

I received almost the same on July 1st,

"Dear Yahoo! User,

We encountered a billing error when attempting to renew your Yahoo! service. This type of error usually indicates that either the credit card you have on file has expired or that the billing address we have is not current.

This is your final notice. Please take a moment to update your credit card information by clicking here and submitting your information.

Please note that we will attempt to renew your service five days from today. If we are still unable to charge your credit card at that time, your service will be terminated.

Sincerely,

Yahoo! Billing Department"

As I just have a free email I directly reported the attempted fraud to webmaster of yahoo.com,

elef

Archived